• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultant to Contractor Issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consultant to Contractor Issues

Hi all
    Currently employed by a consultancy and looking to move to contracting.
    My current client is another consultancy who is then contracting me out to another client. As far as I am aware there is no contract between my employer and the client I am on site with currently.
    Checking my contract I found these clauses, can someone advise if there is something obvious there stopping me from going contracting full stop or stopping me from joining my clients client if that makes sense?

You acknowledge that during your employment with the Company you will come into
    possession of Confidential Information and the parties agree that it is necessary for the
    protection of that Confidential Information and the protection of the goodwill and trade
    connections of the Company that you should be rstrained, in the terms of the covenants
    contained in this clause, from making available or using for the benefit of yourself or a third
    party, Confidential Information which you have obtained in the course of your employment
    with the Company.
    In this clause:
    20.2.1 “Company’s Competitors” means the companies referred to on the HR system’s Job
    and Salary screen. The parties accept that businesses that compete with the
    Company change from time to time as acquisitions take place or businesses
    become more or less successful and so it is necessary to review and amend that
    list from time to time.
    20.2.2 “Relevant Date” means the date on which your employment terminates or any
    earlier date on which you commence garden leave pursuant to clause 12.5.
    20.2.3 “Restricted Employee" means any person,
    20.2.3.1 who is employed by the Company as a director, senior manager, manager,
    instructor or consultant, or who is involved in sales, training, business
    development, courseware publishing, managed learning services, scheduling, LT.
    or examinations; or
    20.2.3.2 who was in the period of 12 months preceding the Relevant Date a direct report of
    yours or a person over whom you exercised significant management influence.
    20.2.4 "Restricted Period" means the period of 12 months from the termination Date.
    20.2.5 “Restricted Person” means any person which or who has at any time during the
    period of 12 months immediately preceding the Relevant Date, been a customer or
    client or is or has been in negotiation to become a customer or client and you have
    or had been materially involved in the negotiations or any part thereof.
    20.2.6 “Board” means the Company’s board of Directors.
    You accordingly covenant with the Company that you will not (other than for and on behalf
    of the Company) without the prior written consent of the Board (such consent to be
    withheld only so far as may be reasonably necessary to protect the legitimate interests of
    the Company) directly or indirectly for the Restricted Period:
    20.3.1 canvass, solicit or approach, or cause to be canvassed, solicited or approached,
    any Restricted Person for the purpose of entering into negotiations with or
    obtaining orders from such person where the orders relate to services the same as
    or not materially different from the Company's services;
    20.3.2 deal with any Restricted Person for the purpose of entering into negotiations with
    or obtaining orders from such person where the orders relate to goods/services the
    same as or not materially different from the Company's services;
    20.3.3 interfere, or seek to interfere, with the continuance of supplies to the Company
    from any supplier with whom you have had contact and who has been supplying
    goods and/or services to the Company at any time during the 12 months
    immediately preceding the Relevant Date if such interference causes or would
    cause that supplier to cease supplying, or materially reduce its supply of, those
    goods and/or sen/ices;
    20.3.4 on your own behalf or on behalf of another solicit or entice, or endeavour to solicit
    or entice, away from the Company, or employ any Restricted Employee;
    20.3.5 be engaged, concerned or interested in any business which has at any time during
    the 12 months immediately preceding the Relevant Date supplied any services to,
    or is a client or customer of, the Company with whom you had dealings if such
    engagement, concern or interest causes or would be likely to cause the supplier to
    cease or materially reduce its supplies to the Company or (as the case may be) the
    client or customer to cease or materially reduce its orders or contracts with the
    Company;
    Further you covenant with the Company that you will not (other than for and on behalf of
    the Company) without the prior written consent of the Board (such consent to be withheld
    only so far as may be reasonably necessary to protect the legitimate interests of the
    Company) directly or indirectly for a period of 3 months from the termination date:
    19.4.1 within the United Kingdom be engaged, concerned or interested in any business
    which is involved in the provision of any of the services that the Company is or has
    been engaged in during the last 12 months provided that this restriction does not
    apply to prevent you from holding shares or other securities in any company which is
    quoted, listed or othenMise dealt in on a recognised stock exchange or other
    securitia market and which confer not more than 5% of the votes which could be
    cast at a general meeting of such company;
    19.4.2 be engaged, concerned or interested in the business of all or any of the Company’s
    Competitors provided that this restriction does not apply to prevent you from holding
    shares or other securities in the relevant Company’s Competitor which confer no
    more than 5% of the votes which could be cast at a general meeting of such
    company.
    The Restricted Period shall be reduced by a period of one day for each day the Company has
    exercised its rights pursuant to clause 125.
    You shall not at any time after the Termination Date:
    20.6.1 represent yourself as having any current connection with or being interested in the
    business of the Company; and
    20.6.2 in relation to any trade or business competitive with that carried on by the
    Company with which you have been involved at the Termination Date use any
    trading name or logo of the Company or any other name or logo intended or likely
    to be confused therewith.
    The restrictions in this clause shall apply to you acting in any capacity whether as principal,
    agent, partner, consultant, employee, director, shareholder or otherwise and whether
    directly or indirectly (including through any person, firm or company).
    You accept that the restrictions contained in this Agreement are reasonable and necessary
    for the protection of the legitimate commercial interests of the Company and may be
    enforced by any group company.
    Each sub-clause and part of such sub-clause of this clause constitutes an entirely separate
    and independent restriction and does not operate to limit any other obligation owed by you,
    whether that obligation is express or implied by law. If any restriction is held to be invalid or
    unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, it is intended and understood by the
    parties that such invalidity or unenforceability will not affect the remaining restrictions.

Complicated one this as it's got quite a chain going on. One thing you haven't seen which I would expect would be your main problem would be any anti-poaching or soliciting clauses in contracts between each of the players in this chain. I'm really not sure how far down a chain the clauses go though. Would the end client's anti solicitation clause to your client cover you as a resource of your employer. Your employer could complain that the client isn't honouring the anti solicitation clause between client and end client.. but then how would they know as it's none of their business. Complicated.

It does strike me that a 12 month restriction clause is technically unenforceable but I really think that's not really going to help much.

I do think this one is gonna be a problem though...

20.3.5 be engaged, concerned or interested in any business which has at any time during
    the 12 months immediately preceding the Relevant Date supplied any services to,
    or is a client or customer of, the Company with whom you had dealings if such
    engagement, concern or interest causes or would be likely to cause the supplier to
    cease or materially reduce its supplies to the Company or (as the case may be) the
    client or customer to cease or materially reduce its orders or contracts with the
    Company;
    If you go with your clients client you'd assume then the client will no longer need to supply your services and in turn your employer would lose out. Anything you do to jump the chain that would cause either party to have to reduce their contract means you are slam dunk caught. When it comes to losing money you can bet your bottom dollar both your employer and client will have a problem with it. If it was doing something extra and won't affect either of the 2 supplying parties then you should be OK...

All that said, the best way out of a handcuff is negotiation. Scuttling off and hoping it won't get picked up on in complicated handcuffs could be a recipe for disaster. Speaking to all parties to gain agreement is the best way out of it. If it's all so underhand you can't approach your employer and then your client then there is a good chance it's going to get challenged. Speak to your employer and outline the situation and see if you can gain their blessing and just go, regardless of what is in the handcuff.

We've seen quite a few of these where consultancy employees want to contract with their client and it's a clear no according to the contract but not to make waves and continue to do good business the parties have let it go.

Personally I'd be working on a smooth exit with agreement from all parties rather than attempting to circumvent a very complicated contractual situation with not one, but two companies that could be very unhappy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Complicated one this as it's got quite a chain going on. One thing you haven't seen which I would expect would be your main problem would be any anti-poaching or soliciting clauses in contracts between each of the players in this chain. I'm really not sure how far down a chain the clauses go though. Would the end client's anti solicitation clause to your client cover you as a resource of your employer. Your employer could complain that the client isn't honouring the anti solicitation clause between client and end client.. but then how would they know as it's none of their business. Complicated.

It does strike me that a 12 month restriction clause is technically unenforceable but I really think that's not really going to help much.

I do think this one is gonna be a problem though...

If you go with your clients client you'd assume then the client will no longer need to supply your services and in turn your employer would lose out. Anything you do to jump the chain that would cause either party to have to reduce their contract means you are slam dunk caught. When it comes to losing money you can bet your bottom dollar both your employer and client will have a problem with it. If it was doing something extra and won't affect either of the 2 supplying parties then you should be OK...

All that said, the best way out of a handcuff is negotiation. Scuttling off and hoping it won't get picked up on in complicated handcuffs could be a recipe for disaster. Speaking to all parties to gain agreement is the best way out of it. If it's all so underhand you can't approach your employer and then your client then there is a good chance it's going to get challenged. Speak to your employer and outline the situation and see if you can gain their blessing and just go, regardless of what is in the handcuff.

We've seen quite a few of these where consultancy employees want to contract with their client and it's a clear no according to the contract but not to make waves and continue to do good business the parties have let it go.

Personally I'd be working on a smooth exit with agreement from all parties rather than attempting to circumvent a very complicated contractual situation with not one, but two companies that could be very unhappy.
      Yeah it is messy,
      I have spoken to the client and end client and they both are happy for me to do that. Its just my employer that I am worried about. They are much smaller then the client and the client is a long running client of theirs.
      Last edited by xenomorph; 9 April 2019, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
        Yeah it is messy,
        I have spoken to the client and end client and they both are happy for me to do that. Its just my employer that I am worried about. They are much smaller then the client and the client is a long running client of theirs.
        In terms of loosing money, they cant really do much about that as if I go contracting with un related client then that will stop the contract between me and client as well.
        Well the long running relationship should work in your favour as they'll not want to rock the boat. Also the fact they'll lose money if you leave wherever then they are on a bit of a wish and a prayer pulling the clause I linked as it will happen anyway.

The fact you leave means they lose the contract between them and your client is an odd one though. Can't be much of a gig if it falls apart when one person leaves???

If that's the case then I can't see what your employer can do about it if all the other parties are happy. They are stuffed either way so spending money on lawyer to hold you to your contract (which is questionable anyway) doesn't help them any.

Am sure someone will suggest you just go and hope the employer never finds out. Not my cup of tea to be honest but could work in this instance. You'll know if it will or not better.

Comment

Actually.. thinking about it. If you work with your employer to replace you and keep the contract going they are going to be over the moon surely? They keep their gig, you can go wherever you want and everyone is happy...

That not an option?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Actually.. thinking about it. If you work with your employer to replace you and keep the contract going they are going to be over the moon surely? They keep their gig, you can go wherever you want and everyone is happy...

That not an option?
            I am happy to help them with that for sure.
            The other thing is the contract between my employer and the client is for them to supply me to whatever client they wish. I am one of 50 employees with this client.
            So loosing me will only affect 1 person but its not tied down to a particular end client.
            Also the end client is likely to not extend my contract beyond current end as the cost is above new year budget.

Do you think its worth paying a lawyer to have a look at the contracting and seeing what they say?

Comment

Doesn't sound like a bad idea if it means a smoother and quicker exit and in to contracting.

Comment

yeah will probably do that if it does not cost too much

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
                  yeah will probably do that if it does not cost too much
                  It will open the door way to generating 100k a year income. I'm sure the costs, whatever they are, are neglible in the grand scheme. This time next year you'll be lighting your cigar with a 50 pound note.

Comment

Working...
                  X