• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fritz first?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fritz first?

Germans First? A Food Bank Bars Migrants, Setting Off a Storm - The New York Times

ESSEN, Germany — Jörg Sartor does not like to turn newcomers away from his food bank, especially single mothers like the young Syrian woman with her 5-year-old son who had waited outside since before dawn.But rules are rules. And for the moment, it is Germans only.
    “Come here,” said Mr. Sartor, waving the boy over. Mr. Sartor disappeared into a storage room and re-emerged with a wooden toy. Then the boy and his mother were shown the door, which for the past two weeks has had five letters scrawled across the outside: “Nazis.”
    The decision of one food bank in the western city of Essen to stop signing up more foreigners after migrants gradually became the majority of its users has prompted a storm of reaction in Essen, a former coal town in Germany’s rust belt, and across the country. Even Chancellor Angela Merkel weighed in: “You shouldn’t categorize people like this.”

Apartments have become scarcer. Schools report that nine out of 10 of their students are non-German. Some German residents feel alienated by the number of newcomers.
    “There are times when you walk down the street and you are in the minority,” Mr. Endruschat said.

Bloody racists

Until three years ago, roughly one in three food bank users were foreigners, he said. By last November, it was three in four.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by tommy View Post
    Bloody racists
    The Germans certainly think so.

The decision of one food bank in the western city of Essen to stop signing up more foreigners after migrants gradually became the majority of its users has prompted a storm of reaction in Essen, a former coal town in Germany’s rust belt, and across the country. Even Chancellor Angela Merkel weighed in: “You shouldn’t categorize people like this.”
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      But what are they doing about it? Is it not illegal in Germany to discriminate on the basis of race or nationality? Charity should be blind and simply help the suffering whoever they are.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Not true if you read the article. The main angst, in this article, is against groups of young man behaving in a thuggish way, pushing past old women to get to the front of the queue.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I am concerned that they need food banks in Germany. And the UK come to that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I am concerned that they need food banks in Germany. And the UK come to that.
            I find it uplifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I find it uplifting.
              Errr - that food banks are necessary?

Comment

I find it uplifting.
                Sure you do, but that's because you're a sad twat with an empty soul.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I find it uplifting.
                  Well, that seemed to go over everyone’s head....

Jacob Rees-Mogg says rise in food bank use is 'rather uplifting' | The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

I really must start listening to that JRM guy. Apologies for ignoring him.

Comment

Working...
                    X