• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hedge funds for beginners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hedge funds for beginners

Is it possible to invest in a hedge fund as an individual, with the kind of sum that your average contractor would have lying around (or more likely, 15-20% of it)?

I know they don't sell directly. Some people have advised buying shares in publicly quoted hedge fund companies, but that sounds like a very wateres-down way of going about it.

Have you spoken to a IFA? Sayara Beg swears by them and look where it got her!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
      Is it possible to invest in a hedge fund as an individual
      Oh Yes! In most investors in HF are individuals.
      Originally posted by thunderlizard
      with the kind of sum that your average contractor would have lying around (or more likely, 15-20% of it)?
      Oh No! (unless you are threaded) The amount of dough that you need to be an investor is a bit more that contractors earn in a lifetime.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

tl,

be careful with hedge funds

they are big gambles, and there have been some
        high profile massive losses

as ever in life, the more sophisticated the investment,
        the more chance there is a losing a lot of money

all the best,

Milan.

Comment

From what I've seen Hedge funds on the whole make disappointing returns. Occasionally they do well. A hedge fund would be interesting when the market gets volatile and shares are likely to drop a lot, "theoretically" they should make money on options. Actually to have some money in a hedge fund might be a good "hedge". The thing is a lot of hedge funds started after the 2001 crash so its difficult to know how they'd do.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 January 2007, 07:59.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

BB,
            That's the way I'm thinking. At the moment, a falling UK equities market would make me lose more than I'd like. It would be good to have something that could provide some hedge against that.

Milan,
            Your concern is appreciated. I wasn't a million miles away when US natural gas prices went through the floor and nearly knocked out Amaranth. But as long as I can't lose more than I put in I'm OK.

Comment

Hi TL,

glad to see you are aware the HF downs as well as ups.

Is there any investment where you can 'But as long as I can't lose more than I put in I'm OK.' ?

Even Lloyds names got bailed out in the end.

Milan.

Comment

Hmm Hedge funds are for those in the high investment high risk category. The FSA has started making noises about them , regulating them more tightly. Potentially lucrative if you work for them as a contractor (I should know) or a perm but they hard to get into. As a headline you will need a minimum of a £250,000 to invest.
                Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

This message is hidden because Chico is on your ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                    This message is hidden because Chico is on your ignore list.
                    He said God views hedge funds very dimly and Satan is not bothered either way.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X