• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BCS membership?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BCS membership?

I've been a full member of the BCS since my student days and am also a chartered engineer so have CITP and CEng titles as well as the academic letters. But I don't think I've had any benefit from the membership in my long career. Is it worth stumping up £221 for another year of letters after my name that I don't use? Or should I use that money toward gap insurance for a new car that I may use?

It's the letters before your name which count.

Sir Mordy
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I quit BCS years ago because there was absolutely no point to membership.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I quit BCS years ago because there was absolutely no point to membership.
        Same.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm in the IET.

I get a "free" magazine that I don't read and throw in the recycling after my mate has read it.

Then again, I never bothered with CEng since it's almost totally pointless unless you're in the Civil Service or the like.

Chap I was on the CEI Part II course with 40 odd years ago* was in the Civil Service & he's got a gold plated pension paid for by the likes of us, is CEng, and is a Fellow of the IET to boot.

So for him it made sense.

For me?

Not so much.

I became MIEE when they abolished AMIEE back in the day.

*I've just remembered that he didn't know how Roman numerals worked in the A3 maths class.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 April 2019, 12:44.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I'm a member of CUK, that's all my clients need to know to understand the calibre of contractor they are hiring.

Comment

I'm in it and promote the fact on LinkedIn. At least one useful connection stopped by to speak to me because of it, I guess because there are so many out there doing my kind of stuff who aren't.

You get good meetings if you're based closed to London, and I have been to one or rwo useful ones in the East Midlands.

But it's the LinkedIn promotion that keeps me.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                I'm a member of CUK, that's all my clients need to know to understand the calibre of contractor they are hiring.
                And you've been on the bench ever since?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I've got CUK on my CV twice now

Comment

Never been a member of BCS. I am a member of IET since student days only to maintain my Engerneering council registration (CEng) and INCOSE which as a CSEP tells the client everything they need to know about the high quality and knowledge based they are engaging with. I do need to transfer my CEng to INCOSE and ditch the IET when I get round to filling out the form.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                    X