• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch Anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch Anyone?

When is it permissible to claim the lunch allowance? Has anyone actually claimed this expense and in what context.

Do a search!

This topic has been discussed and discussed and discussed.....

.....almost to death!
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Onyerbike
      When is it permissible to claim the lunch allowance? Has anyone actually claimed this expense and in what context.
      There is no such thing as a lunch allowance unless you are working for someone else, in which case use their rules whatever they may be.

You can claim the cost of lunch (with a proof of purchase) as a business expense if you are working away from your place of work and haven't trripped the 2-year rule and it won't be classed as a BIK. Otherwise you can still claim it, but it will be a BIK, will need to be declared on the P11D and you will pay tax on the amount.

The other bit is the allowable per diem expense regime where you can claim meal costs up to certain limits for what are essentially overnight stays and they will be exempted from the BIK - you still need proof of purchase though.

To put it simply, prove you've bought it and you can claim it. Whether or not you then get taxed on it is another question.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Onyerbike
        just f***kin claim it.

£10 per day nice. subsistence.

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
          just f***kin claim it.

£10 per day nice. subsistence.
          And illegal - back tax, interest, penalty fine and 6 months at the last reckoning. Still it gets some of the opposition out of the market I suppose.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Bear
            Do a search!
            This topic has been discussed and discussed and discussed.....
            .....almost to death!
            Quite possibly but what is the consensus on this?

For those of you stuck in the office all day then you cannot claim this expense but for those of us who are out all day at different sites all the time then I presume it is a bonafide claim.

Comment

I suspect there isn't a consensus - hence why it keeps getting discussed!

Malvolio has explained the rules - the rest is up to the individual.

I personally don't claim lunch expenses. Spending £5 a day for approx 200 days a year would save me what .. £200 a year in tax. Therefore if it takes me more than about 3hrs a year to collect receipts and do the paperwork - it's not worth it!

but each to their own
              Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                And illegal - back tax, interest, penalty fine and 6 months at the last reckoning. Still it gets some of the opposition out of the market I suppose.
                i have been contracting through umbrellas for 2 years and claiming exactly that.

£10 per day automatic subsistence without receipts.

go **** yerself.

Comment

i have been contracting through umbrellas for 2 years and claiming exactly that.

go **** yerself.
                  Oh not again
                  Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

go **** yerself.
                    Doesn't make it legal though. If your expenses were ever audited you'd more than likely be in a bit of bother...
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X