• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This cookie thing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This cookie thing

starting to drive me nuts. You visit a website and are confronted with some model popup.

Required cookies
    Functional cookies
    Advertising cookies
    Information storage and access
    Personalisation
    Ad selection delivery and reporting
    Content selection, delivery and reporting
    Measurement

FOAD!

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    starting to drive me nuts. You visit a website and are confronted with some model popup.

Required cookies
    Functional cookies
    Advertising cookies
    Personalisation
    Measurement

FOAD!
    yeh! - feckin developers!

Comment

Required cookies
      Functional cookies
      Advertising cookies
      Personalisation
      Measurement

FOAD!
      I'm beginning to suspect that the cookie that shows whether you've expressed your cookie preferences already is categorised as "Ad selection, delivery and reporting".
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Required cookies
        Functional cookies
        Advertising cookies
        Personalisation
        Measurement

FOAD!
        Use anonymous browsing, just accept everything and it will be deleted off once you close the browser
        or delete all cookies after each session manually

Comment

I came across one the other day with a bunch of categories like that, each with a switch to reject it. So I did. But there was also, in tiny text, a link to expand a list of the companies setting cookies of that type.

So I did that too, and it turned out using the "reject" switches didn't turn all of them off. It took about fifteen minutes to scroll through the lot, as some of the categories had hundreds of entries, and about 15% - 20% of them were still enabled after the main switch was set to "reject"; they all had to be rejected individually.

If I see that again, I'll crack open the browser developer tools and make a bookmarklet to automate the process.

Another annoyance is Quantcast's cookie control panel, used by multiple sites. It seems to have either global or site-specific settings, so you can't assume that your "reject all" will apply to a given site; you have to "view options" or whatever the wording is, and check. And if you "reject all" on a given site, the thing will appear again on that site after a day or two, retaining the setting of all rejected but usually only offering an "accept all" button to get rid of it, so you have to dig down again to confirm the "reject all" option.

Bunch of gits, they are

Comment

Double chocolate chip for me please.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Double chocolate chip for me please.

White chocolate and raspberry

Do what thou wilt

Comment

Fortune for me.

Comment

Boycott sites that still rely on cookies and have a poorly implemented intrusive cookie policy and use those that have moved away from cookies to HMTL5 local storage instead.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    Boycott sites that still rely on cookies and have a poorly implemented intrusive cookie policy and use those that have moved away from cookies to HMTL5 local storage instead.
                    Not heard of that. Have to look into it.
                    PS Look similar to PHP session cookies?
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X