• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter sports insurance / income protection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter sports insurance / income protection

Hi there,

I've off skiing in a couple of weeks and it occurred to me that normal insurance may not cover me in the event of an accident.

Can anyone advise of any insurers/products/policies for IT contractors that covers winter sports?

Cheers

M

Not sure but make sure that any you get cover you for all your "income" not just the 5k you pay yourself if you are low salary, high div.

Comment

Insurareandgo.com are very cheap.

While we're on the subject, I know someone who is facing a medical bill approaching 20K following a skiing accident. This despite the fact he
      • has free social medical insurance by virtue of living in the UK
      • allegedly has free social dental insurance etc.
      • has full private medical insurance via employer scheme
      • has dental insurance via employer scheme
      • had travel insurance including wintersports coverage when he injured himself.

The explanation? He needs dental implants, which appear to be covered by no insurance known to man.

Comment

OT, but a question for those with Ltd's, what do you normally state your job title is when filling insurance forms, etc? Company Directory or your line of work (code monkey, 1st line support . . .)?

Comment

as a paye bod, i.e code monkey
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Goya
            OT, but a question for those with Ltd's, what do you normally state your job title is when filling insurance forms, etc? Company Directory or your line of work (code monkey, 1st line support . . .)?
            I used to say I was a code monkey (but I was never really happy that this was completely honest).

However, when I re-newed the Car insurance online (surprisingly, for the first time ever) I noticed that the drop down box had 'company director' as one of the choices and that selecting it made no difference whatsoever to the premium.

So that's what I am now

tim

Comment

Originally posted by hybrid
              Hi there,

I've off skiing in a couple of weeks and it occurred to me that normal insurance may not cover me in the event of an accident.

Can anyone advise of any insurers/products/policies for IT contractors that covers winter sports?

Cheers

M
              I'm off snowboarding 2 weeks today to France (for 4 days). I wasn't aware of any policy that covers wages (If that's what you are asking?). I'm currently looking at Travel insurance (with Winter Sports Cover). Comes out @ £12 (ish) for me. Which Covers all the usual stuff like....

i used money super market dot com to get a price.

Cancellation
              Curtailment
              Medical Expenses
              Repatriation
              Hospital Benefit
              Delayed Baggage
              Travel Delay
              Holiday Abandonment
              Hijack
              Missed Departure
              Personal Accident
              Personal Liability
              Catastrophe Cover
              Legal Expenses

but none of these cover loss of income in the event of an accident that stops me from go back to my contract. Should I be looking at "Income Protection"?.... I bet it cost a fortune and I bet the cover has to be taken out for a minimum period too.
              Last edited by Cactus; 4 January 2007, 15:14.
              -------------
              Cactus

Comment

Where is a good place to get kids kitted out for their 1st skiing trip? I've never skied so don't have the foggiest about what they need
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                  Where is a good place to get kids kitted out for their 1st skiing trip? I've never skied so don't have the foggiest about what they need
                  Where are you based ? Go to your local dry ski run or local ski shop they will be able to help...
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

oh an what every you do get them a hard hat, and warm, waterproof stuff to put on.
                    SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                    X