• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents ...huh ...what are they good for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents ...huh ...what are they good for?

I arranged the extension.
    I informed the agent i was close to end of current contract
    I then contacted the client when dates were incorrect....

Agent just sends out th new contract and passes go collecting 200 on the way....

I'm in the wrong game!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Originally posted by kramer
    I arranged the extension.
    I informed the agent i was close to end of current contract
    I then contacted the client when dates were incorrect....

Agent just sends out th new contract and passes go collecting 200 on the way....

I'm in the wrong game!
    You didn't get the original contact though did you?

tim

Comment

Absolutely nothing!

Say it again!

Comment

A better model?

http://www.itcontractor.com/Articles...23&photopage=0

Search Fee

In my current contract the agent's role was purely restricted to finding a resource, i.e. "me", and they were paid a one-off fee for this service.

Thereafter it was my responsibility to negotiate the terms of the contract and sign a contract directly with the client.

I don't know what rate the agent charged but it was obviously more than would be usual given that it was a one-off fee.

Seems Fair

However, this seems like a fair way of doing things.

The agency is paid for the service they provide - they're happy.

The client pays just once for a specific service - they're happy.

And I (or my business) get to be in control of my contract terms - I'm happy.

Sometimes it takes up to 60 days for invoices to be paid but that doesn't bother me.

Better Arrangement

I would much rather have this arrangement for all of my contracts. It's an easier way of dealing with it and no one has to be worry about being fleeced by the middle-man.

Agencies could argue that they continue to provide a service to contractors by paying on time and absorbing the delays in invoices being paid.

I wouldn't know how to quantify that service but if you're happy or able to absorb that delay then it's an easier way to do things.

Comment

Working...
        X