• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boeing 737 Max: China's top airlines seek compensation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boeing's VW moment with their troubled MCAS (Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System) system. Or 'May Crash at Any Second', as I like to call it.

Tell me... would you fly on this aircraft after some software engineers told me the patched the problem? Hell no would be my answer. I don't know why anyone would take the risk.

China's three biggest airlines are demanding compensation from Boeing over its grounded 737 Max fleet.

Air China, China Southern and China Eastern have filed claims for payouts, according to state media reports.

China's regulator was the first to ground the fleet in the wake of two deadly crashes involving the US-made aircraft.

It comes on the eve of a meeting of global aviation regulators that will provide an update on the troubled jets.

The Chinese airlines are seeking compensation for losses incurred by the grounded fleet, as well as delayed deliveries of the 737 Max jets, according to reports.

China operates the largest fleet of Boeing 737 Max aircraft and was the first country to take the jets out of service after the Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max 8 crash in March.

The disaster killed all 157 people on board. In October, 189 people were killed in a Lion Air crash involving the same model.

Last week, Boeing said it had completed development of a software update for its 737 Max planes.

The planemaker's entire global fleet of 737 Max aircraft has been grounded since March and the firm is anxious to prove it is safe to return to the skies.

The move by China's top airlines to seek compensation comes ahead of a closely watched summit of aviation regulators in Texas on Thursday.

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is due to provide an update on reviews of Boeing's software fix and new pilot training.

The meeting in Texas will involve 57 agencies from 33 countries, including China, France, Germany and the UK, as well as the European Union Aviation Safety Agency.

But it is unclear if the planes will be back in the air before the end of the critical summer travel season.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Do you own Airbus shares?

Comment

short and distort
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If it's Boeing, I ain't going...

Quick exit...
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Tell me... would you fly on this aircraft after some software engineers told me the patched the problem? Hell no would be my answer. I don't know why anyone would take the risk.
          No. But then again, I never liked DC10s or MD11s either but didn't stop me back in the days when I was travelling o a shoestring.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            No. But then again, I never liked DC10s or MD11s either but didn't stop me back in the days when I was travelling o a shoestring.
            That sounds painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              That sounds painful.
              It felt like it after an Air India curry

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                back in the days when I was travelling o a shoestring.
                Hmmmm....inneresting....

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                somebody such as me who has spent years travelling as an independent traveller on a shoestring

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Hmmmm....inneresting....
                  Good detecting!

Comment

Just found this little gem:

https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?s...doc_id=1334999

It's a bitch when that bit flips.

And two computers?

Shirley you need 3 like the Shuttle had if you want to know which one is fecked.

Since then, the Federal Aviation Agency (FAA), which had ceded its inspection duties to Boeing employees, has discovered that besides the fatal flaw in MCAS, the 737 MAX’s non-redundant computer system is subject to possible interference by “cosmic rays striking the circuitry” at high altitudes.

This revelation, detailed in a thorough summary by Dominic Gates in the Seattle Times ("Newly stringent FAA tests spur a software redesign..."), surprised both Boeing and the FAA.

It was discovered only after the FAA was forced into a renewed regimen of close regulation by those horrific Lion Air and Ethiopian Airline crashes.

The software “glitch” discovered by FAA pilots running simulations was correctable manually, in the cockpit, within three seconds.

However, within three seconds, one of three simulations resulted in the airplane going down.

A 33-percent failure rate — which translates into the deaths of as many as 200 passengers — is appropriately deemed “catastrophic” by the FAA.

As a result, Boeing is not only working to double up its MCAS sensors, but to install on every 737 MAX two computers working simultaneously.

This will ensure that a potentially deadly bit-flip in one computer can be discerned and corrected by the other — in less than three seconds.
                    Ooooops.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X