• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

420mph in a 30mph zone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

420mph in a 30mph zone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6231085.stm

"Thank you for highlighting the error in the original notice. Please rest assured that a new notice, with the correct speed, has been issued in your name. Payment can be made online or with any major credit card"

Mailman

I thought that if there was an error in the NIP, it has to be dropped?

Comment

You thought right.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
        You thought right.

Mailman
        For him lets hope his lawyer knows that!

Comment

Why did he bring it to thier attention?

I'd have shut up and waited for it to go to court and in court said Ok prove i was doing 420. Oh you can't? Case dismissed please

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            I thought that if there was an error in the NIP, it has to be dropped?
            You thought wrong. There is provision for typos's to be corrected.

Also in the event of a not guiltly plea it becomes largely irrelevant. Speeding is an absolute offence. It only remains for the police to establish evidence that he was speeding to the magistrates rather than he was doing 420mph.

There are some circumstances where an erroneous NIP may prove fatal to the prosecution, e.g. the reg no is shown wrongly - just fill in the S172 notice saying it's not your vehicle and tell them to far koff when they reissue it.

Comment

But surely a typo such as getting your speed wildly wrong is different to maybe a typo in your address?

I might go to court if a NIP says I was doing 97 in a 30 but accept 37 in a 30? So was I doing 97 or did they type the speed in wrong?

If they can't be relied on in serving a prosecution notice, how can you rely on anything?

Case dismissed. Feck orf!

Comment

But surely a typo such as getting your speed wildly wrong is different to maybe a typo in your address?

I might go to court if a NIP says I was doing 97 in a 30 but accept 37 in a 30? So was I doing 97 or did they type the speed in wrong?

If they can't be relied on in serving a prosecution notice, how can you rely on anything?

Case dismissed. Feck orf!
                As I said, it's an absolute offence. Essentailly if you plead not guilty then the NIP is simply a disputed set of facts. If the police have anything to back it up (e.g. a camera reading of 37) then unless you can get that ruled inadmissible or disprove it you are not going to get acquitted.

http://www.pepipoo.com/Basics.htm

Comment

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X