• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Children whitening skin to avoid racial hate crime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children whitening skin to avoid racial hate crime

This is damn depressing. At a time in your life where the fulfilment of learning & discovery should be the only concern, instead this hate filled ignorance. Children probably getting it from their parents.

Children are whitening their skin with make-up to avoid being bullied or racially abused at school, according to charity NSPCC.

Its research suggested racial abuse and bullying of children had risen by one-fifth since 2015-16.

There were over 10,500 race hate crime offences against children across the UK in 2017-18 - an average of 29 a day.

A 10-year-old girl told NSPCC she "tried to make her face whiter" as others described her skin as "dirty".

The girl who called Childline to discuss her distress said: "My friends won't hang out with me anymore because people started asking why they were friends with someone who had dirty skin.

"I was born in the UK but bullies tell me to go back to my own country. I don't understand because I'm from the UK.

"I've tried to make my face whiter before using make up so that I can fit in. I just want to enjoy going to school."

'Get's me down'
    An 11-year-old Asian child also told the helpline that she tried to change the way she looked by using eyeliner.

"I'm being bullied at school because I'm Chinese. The other kids say that my skin is yellow, call me names, and it gets me really down," she said.

"I've tried to change the way that I look by using eyeliner so that I fit in more. I don't want to tell my parents because I think it would upset them."

Image copyrightTHINKSTOCK
    While a 16-year-old girl from a Muslim background said: "People call me a terrorist and keep telling me to go back to where I came from.

"I dress in traditional Muslim clothes and I think it singles me out.

"I usually just put my head down and get on with it but it's getting to the point now where I genuinely feel like I might get attacked."

Research by the NSPCC suggested the number of hate crime offences recorded by police against under-18s went from 8,683 in 2015-16 to 9,752 in 2016-17.

The figure then rose to 10,571 in 2017-18.

The charity requested data from all UK police forces under the Freedom of Information Act, receiving figures from 38 out of 45.

Girls were more likely to contact Childline and the most common age group was between 12 and 15, the research found.

'Emotional harm'
    Head of Childline John Cameron said: "Childhood bullying of this nature can cause long-term emotional harm to children and can create further divisions in our society.

"If we see a child bullying another because of their race we need to tackle it head on, by explaining that it's not OK and how hurtful it is."

Police chiefs have raised concerns over the heated public debate around Brexit and the "febrile" atmosphere that it has created.

The UK's head of counter-terrorism policing, Neil Basu, said in January that a spike in hate crime seen around the 2016 EU referendum had "never really receded".

Police figures for all hate crime showed sharp rises around the time of the 2016 EU referendum and the 2017 terror attacks in London and Manchester.

Levels decreased again until early 2018, when they again began to rise.

source: Children whitening skin to avoid racial hate crime, NSPCC finds - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Very sad situation indeed but to balance it I'm not convinced this is the only reason. We know the teenagers follow role models who are unfortunately all the Kardishians/Geordie Shores and all that so you have to factor this in to account. Look at the news about the Indian beauty pagent today

Miss India pageant comes under fire over lack of diversity | Daily Mail Online

All fair skinned so can't forget that some of this is driven by the pressure to be like the beautiful people they look up to.

Can't deny the bullying figures and comments, pretty awful but I think saying they whiten their skin purely due to bullying isn't quite true.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Very sad situation indeed but to balance it I'm not convinced this is the only reason. We know the teenagers follow role models who are unfortunately all the Kardishians/Geordie Shores and all that so you have to factor this in to account. Look at the news about the Indian beauty pagent today

Miss India pageant comes under fire over lack of diversity | Daily Mail Online

All fair skinned so can't forget that some of this is driven by the pressure to be like the beautiful people they look up to.

Can't deny the bullying figures and comments, pretty awful but I think saying they whiten their skin purely due to bullying isn't quite true.
      Agreed - skin whitening is a global phenomenon.

The bullying probably is a factor, similar to how Scottish children in Munich pretend to be Irish or English, so they don't get bullied for reasons we don't need to mention.

Comment

Bullying is rife in British schools.

We had to remove our eldest from primary school due to bullying, it's taken her months to recover.

Most of it is due to being a swat or smarter than the average - but you don't see the permanently offended mobs up in arms over that.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          Bullying is rife in British schools.

We had to remove our eldest from primary school due to bullying, it's taken her months to recover.

Most of it is due to being a swat or smarter than the average - but you don't see the permanently offended mobs up in arms over that.
          Do you have any evidence for this claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Only from my own experiences. During my own school days it was the reason for about 90% of the bullying and my daughter's school was losing kids on a regular basis. I made a formal complaint to the governors about it so hunted down all the parents who had withdrawn their children during our time with the school (excluding those who simply left the area) to canvass reasons for leaving. All of them were swots who were excluded or bullied for it. I'm not saying it's the only reason but I have found it to be a major problem and one that nobody seems willing to tackle or discuss openly.

Comment

I remember in physics class the teacher asked 'what is speed?'

I was the swot, arm shot up in the air. Teacher would say, do I have to ask Scooter. Ever other pupil be like 'how fast something goes?' No! 'now please would someone tell me!' exclaims the teacher. Eventually I was asked 'The rate of movement' - Thank you Scooter, says the teacher.

'You're getting it afters' I would hear across the way from those that picked on me, and that was typical experience for giving the answers the teachers wanted to hear. Gwd I hated school.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                scootie is thick, and he didn’t get bullied in his home school.

Comment

So you are bored with spouting bollox on the Crypto thread, you thought you'd pollute CUK further with this random bollox instead?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    So you are bored with spouting bollox on the Crypto thread, you thought you'd pollute CUK further with this random bollox instead?
                    It's an escalation of his Thistle Heathrow hotel room dirty protest.

Comment

Working...
                    X