• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you wash a 'dry-clean' only suit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you wash a 'dry-clean' only suit?

A couple of mates (female, therefore washing machine operatives) of mine have said before now that they wash their dry-clean only suits in the washer. One washes her own, and the other, her blokes - both say they come out fine.

Obviously, this ain't no £2500 Armani jobby - just a boggo half wool half whatever special.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Never tried it myself, as I have always assumed dry-clean only meant, well, just that.
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Depends. Keep the temp low and it shouldnt harm it too much.

Of course IANAW

Comment

Ask your butler to ask your cleaner and laundry person.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
        A couple of mates (female, therefore washing machine operatives) of mine have said before now that they wash their dry-clean only suits in the washer. One washes her own, and the other, her blokes - both say they come out fine.

Obviously, this ain't no £2500 Armani jobby - just a boggo half wool half whatever special.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Never tried it myself, as I have always assumed dry-clean only meant, well, just that.
        I wouldn't risk it with a new suit or anything expensive. If it's something oldish and you don't mind ruining it but still want to wear it then go ahead and try. It'll probably be OK but I expect it won't hang right or it could shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
          I wouldn't risk it with a new suit or anything expensive. If it's something oldish and you don't mind ruining it but still want to wear it then go ahead and try. It'll probably be OK but I expect it won't hang right or it could shrink.
          I'll be knackered if it does shrink this soon after Christmas...
          The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Wife does it all the time in cold water. No noticable degradation - if any - at all. Mind you its a crap M&S suit. Wouldn't do it with my BOSS ones.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
              Wife does it all the time in cold water. No noticable degradation - if any - at all. Mind you its a crap M&S suit. Wouldn't do it with my BOSS ones.
              FFS - It costs 4.95 to get it dry-cleaned. And then you don't even have to do it yourself - you're a contractor you can afford it!

Comment

Sorry I seem to have wandered onto some kind of chav forum.
                IGMC.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
                  FFS - It costs 4.95 to get it dry-cleaned. And then you don't even have to do it yourself - you're a contractor you can afford it!
                  Not in london it doesn't! Mine's twice that.

Comment

Suits - how quaint !

Does anybody still have to wear them to work ?

You wont get me to swap my orange boilersuit for one of them suits !

Comment

Working...
                    X