• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

guitar lessons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guitar lessons

thinking of taking guitar lessons, as a complete beginner, what should I be looking for ??

SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Get a guitar would be a good start

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
      thinking of taking guitar lessons, as a complete beginner, what should I be looking for ??

http://www.charanga.com/
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner

You're best bet would be to buy a book of simple chords and practice the basic shapes, but not worry too much about the tuning at the moment. Whenever I've taught people, I always work on their rhythm and timing beofre moving onto the fun stuff like learning chords etc....

I never took guitar lessons myslef - am entirely self taught - but from experience, if you go for lessons, it'll be a whole lot easier if you know a few basic chord shapes before you start.

HTH.
        Call the cops

Comment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Dummi.../dp/076455106X

HTH

Comment

Get a teacher is the best advice I can give you. The first person you meet might not be the one for you and a lot of people who can play can't teach.

Ask around in your local music shop when you go to get your strings changed. They'll be able to recommend someone good.

Comment

I'm self taught and started with this book

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Guitar-Pl.../dp/0825694000
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Personally, unless you're wanting to play classical guitar, I wouldn't bother with the lessons.

I'd have a guess that well over 90% of the world's best/most innovative guitarists are completely self-taught.

Start out with a book that shows you the chord shapes and get a book with a bunch of tunes that use the standard open chords to practice on. When you've outgrown the first couple of books, graduate to a book that shows you the various scales and tunings - and then experiment.

Finally, play until your fingers hurt. Then when they've calmed down a bit, play some more. It's the only way to get the hard ends of the fingers that you'll need to play comfortably.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

What kind of guitar do you have ?

To get started with the guitar, learn three chords.

I would recommend E Major A Major and D Major.

These are easy chords to remember and master.

This will allow you to play basic rock'n'roll - you can pick up the rest later - dont try to play exotic chords such as EbMinor7th or Abdim - you dont really need this and will just put you off - try to master the above three and then let me know how you get on.

And - your fingertips will be a tad sore to start with - this is normal.

But after six months they will harden - and when youve played for thirty years like moi then your fingertips will be truely battle hardened.

You might want to use a plecturm - sometimes I do and sometimes I dont depending upon my mood.

The key to getting a good rock sound is the strumming - too many people only concentrate on the chords - but your strumming technique is critical .

I never took lessons altough I did play the piano before the guitar - all self taught .

There can be scope for lessons later if you want to play more esoteric styles such as Jazz or classical - but you need to get the basic chords under your belt first.

Whatever you do - good luck !
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 January 2007, 11:29.

Comment

what kind of music? classical, finger picking folk, thrash metal, blues lead...

once you have a style in mind find a local teacher who is good at that thing (go to your local music store and ask)

some basic lessons is a good idea - get half a dozen to get yourself sorted and then go alone.

it's all about practice practice practice.

Comment

Working...
                    X