• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any ideas how to progress?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas how to progress?

Posting in general but sometimes you get some sense.

So the background.. I was away on a business trip in March, the first night I'm away the misses had several threatening calls early morning. We have one of them recorded. They knew her name and made sexual threats. Misses was petrified, we have recently moved to the country so you can imagine, large house backing onto fields.

Anyway, she called the police straight away and gave them the details.

We called the phone company and within a week they had the details of the number etc. But would only give it out to the police. We gave a statement to the police the women dealing with it, couldn't be arsed. Anyway, she said she had to apply for the phone number etc off the phone company. Weeks later nothing, apparently she went on long term sick leave. The person taking over, then went on long term sick leave.
    Eventually, last week they got the details and the number belongs to a large retail firm and two names are associated with the number.

Anyway, the police have just came back and said that the retail firm said the phone was stolen in December. The police are therefore closing the case. That's it, just stopped replying to questions.

This just doesn't sound right or am i missing something. Large retail firm has phone reported stolen in December would the number still be active and paid for in March? Or if the police contacted the retail firm and they talked to the person holding the phone and they said it was stolen in December would they still not interview the person etc. What am I missing?

I know it's not the crime of the century, but I imagine the person makes these calls has done it a number of times and still its natural to want that person to be caught.

Is there anyway I can progress this and no my accountant doesn't have a ******* clue?

Shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted maybe, but there are services that will give you the details of a number, including name and address, for a fee.

You could try hiring a private detective. The difficulty there is getting someone recommended.

We get a huge volume of spam calls, non-threatening thankfully, so all our landline calls are routed to the answering machine. We get an email with the message, so we can play that back on our mobile phones. We can also time limit the answering machine, so that e.g. from 10am to 4pm, it will let calls through.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Posting in general but sometimes you get some sense.

So the background.. I was away on a business trip in March, the first night I'm away the misses had several threatening calls early morning. We have one of them recorded. They knew her name and made sexual threats. Misses was petrified, we have recently moved to the country so you can imagine, large house backing onto fields.

Anyway, she called the police straight away and gave them the details.

We called the phone company and within a week they had the details of the number etc. But would only give it out to the police. We gave a statement to the police the women dealing with it, couldn't be arsed. Anyway, she said she had to apply for the phone number etc off the phone company. Weeks later nothing, apparently she went on long term sick leave. The person taking over, then went on long term sick leave.
      Eventually, last week they got the details and the number belongs to a large retail firm and two names are associated with the number.

Anyway, the police have just came back and said that the retail firm said the phone was stolen in December. The police are therefore closing the case. That's it, just stopped replying to questions.

This just doesn't sound right or am i missing something. Large retail firm has phone reported stolen in December would the number still be active and paid for in March? Or if the police contacted the retail firm and they talked to the person holding the phone and they said it was stolen in December would they still not interview the person etc. What am I missing?

I know it's not the crime of the century, but I imagine the person makes these calls has done it a number of times and still its natural to want that person to be caught.

Is there anyway I can progress this and no my accountant doesn't have a ******* clue?
      Has she had calls since March ?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted maybe, but there are services that will give you the details of a number, including name and address, for a fee.

You could try hiring a private detective. The difficulty there is getting someone recommended.

We get a huge volume of spam calls, non-threatening thankfully, so all our landline calls are routed to the answering machine. We get an email with the message, so we can play that back on our mobile phones. We can also time limit the answering machine, so that e.g. from 10am to 4pm, it will let calls through.
        I'm thinking more how I can progress it with the police. The number was linked to a corporate account and a name, doesn't make sense that the number would still be active 3-4 months after reported stolen. Sounds like the retail firm contacted the employee and the excuse was phone was stolen in December. Which is a pretty tulipty excuse.

It doesn't seem to make sense.

Comment

Really sorry to hear this. Poor Mrs woohoo. It's really tulip.

In honesty, I don't think you are ever going to get to the bottom of this, and I'm not sure it's the best use of time and emotional energy. On the practicality side of corporate phones, a mate of mine moved back to the UK from Ireland and his employer (utility) had no process for taking the phone back. He was told to keep it and keep using it. A year later and it's still working.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Really sorry to hear this. Poor Mrs woohoo. It's really tulip.

In honesty, I don't think you are ever going to get to the bottom of this, and I'm not sure it's the best use of time and emotional energy. On the practicality side of corporate phones, a mate of mine moved back to the UK from Ireland and his employer (utility) had no process for taking the phone back. He was told to keep it and keep using it. A year later and it's still working.
            Cheers Greg, the wife is over it now but she is a focused bundle of evil that wants to hunt this person down.

You have a point about it not being the best use of time, I just think that my wife isnt the first person to be contacted by this perv and sounds like she wont be the last. I imagine this person being a sad individual and needing some help.

Good info about taking the phone back, but I thought a company like John Lewis would have a process to cancel stolen phone numbers within 3-4 months.

Comment

Cheers Greg, the wife is over it now but she is a focused bundle of evil that wants to hunt this person down.

You have a point about it not being the best use of time, I just think that my wife isnt the first person to be contacted by this perv and sounds like she wont be the last. I imagine this person being a sad individual and needing some help.

Good info about taking the phone back, but I thought a company like John Lewis would have a process to cancel stolen phone numbers within 3-4 months.
              Never underestimate the inefficiency of a large corporate body.

I'm not in your wife's position, but my tendency is to get Zen about things like this (very different scenario but Mrs OG had an evil bully of a boss some years back). Being evil is its own punishment. Be grateful you're not like that. Do something positive like raise some money for victims of sexual violence or domestic abuse. The perpetrators will never know but this is the best revenge (and I'm not sure there are any viable route towards prosecution or a good pasting). Just my twopennyworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Never underestimate the inefficiency of a large corporate body.

I'm not in your wife's position, but my tendency is to get Zen about things like this (very different scenario but Mrs OG had an evil bully of a boss some years back). Being evil is its own punishment. Be grateful you're not like that. Do something positive like raise some money for victims of sexual violence or domestic abuse. The perpetrators will never know but this is the best revenge (and I'm not sure there are any viable route towards prosecution or a good pasting). Just my twopennyworth.
                All good points mate.

Comment

All good points mate.
                  I hope you both find resolution in whatever way works.

Comment

I'm thinking more how I can progress it with the police. The number was linked to a corporate account and a name, doesn't make sense that the number would still be active 3-4 months after reported stolen. Sounds like the retail firm contacted the employee and the excuse was phone was stolen in December. Which is a pretty tulipty excuse.

It doesn't seem to make sense.
                    It's not unlikely. Many companies off boarding processes are atrocious. When I left CSC I handed all all my kit back including SIM in the phone, signed for it and left thinking nothing of it.

Had a friend I speak to occasionally contact me 6 months or so later saying he keeps leaving messages and I don't reply. Rang the old number and lo and behold it's still got my VM on it.

It's more likely to happen if it's a large corporate.

Horrible situation so hope you can get some closure soon.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X