• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shredders. What a load of..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shredders. What a load of..

Rubbish. Do you think I have 10 hours to feed it through sheet by sheet. No.
    So we have to recycle do we??? Yeh , right and watch some dustman driving around in a new car he's bought off pretending to be me.

I suggest a little mini fire bin. I'm going to burn the bloody stuff. Where can I buy one?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You get some pretty high tech shredders now though. I saw one for £50 that munches through staples, paperclips, credit cards etc. Chops them into small pieces too.

I didn't get that one - got the £15 example instead. It can only do 5 sheets in one go and you have to empty it every 2 minutes. No good if you have an urgent need to shred a large quantity of compromising documentation.

Comment

Our local council has said they will no longer take shredded paper either with general rubbish or in the recycling bins. Apparently it blocks up their shredding machine at the tip.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

10 hours to feed it through sheet by sheet? I think you're confusing a pair of scissors with a shredder MF, certainly if you buy a half-decent one.

Have used a shredder for a number of years (5-6?), as have a number of other people I know, and even disposing of a years accounts*, has never took more than 10-20 min. Old credit-cards, CD's, you name it, just gets reduced to 1/8 x 1/2" pieces in no time.

Generally I just stick anything to be shredded on top of the machine each day and after a few days switch it on and down it goes like a waste disposal and a few sec's later it's confetti.

* sometimes I do wonder what the rubbish guys think when presented with large bags of shredded documents, Enron or what?
        Last edited by Joe Black; 5 January 2007, 22:39.

Comment

I broke mine a month after I bought it. Hubby fixed it (muttering under his breath) and now every time I try shredding one sheet it stops half way down... It always works for him though.

I tear off addresses from post and cut them up using scissors these days.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

"Generally I just stick anything to be shredded on top of the machine each day and after a few days switch it on and down it goes like a waste disposal and a few sec's later it's confetti."

I have 6 bin liners of stuff to shredd. I'll tell you what why don't you pop over and show me how to do it!!!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Ahh, I see. Most I've done in one go is a years accounts/statements etc. It's all in the planning innit.

Perhaps you need to buy one of these: MX-200 (don't think you need a disintegrator, not the 3000 lb per hour ones anyway), or, more seriously, if you really need a load of stuff chopped up, then there's companies which have such kit to do it for you.

Comment

The Daddy

All the shredder you'll ever need . . .
                http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...&storeId=10001

Comment

Used to work for a shredding company in Southwark. Machines could take your arm off.

I now find it a lot easier to chuck it on the "proper" fire I have in the house and sod the local smokeless regs.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The Mummy

Costs a bit more but has more stamina...

http://www.acco.co.uk/business_machi...tion=1&id=1601

Comment

Working...
                    X