• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Ministry of Defence prepares for war...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ministry of Defence prepares for war...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...535312,00.html

"Over the next decade, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) will spend the equivalent of more than £75,000 for each top official working at the ministry’s headquarters on refurbishments, repairs and services. In contrast, it has budgeted just a third of the amount — only £25,000 per person — for refurbishment and repairs to soldiers’ living quarters.

The bill for the new offices would have paid the salaries of the 1,800 infantrymen who were axed in the 2004 cuts for two decades; or would have paid for 24 Chinook helicopters — that is three times the number which are struggling to move British troops around Afghanistan."

With regard to the PFI 'get it on the never never'....

"The deals — now totalling £158 billion across government — are attractive to the government because they often move large debts off their balance sheets and the risks of costly project overruns are shouldered by contractors."

That kind of money - and the interest it could cost - could undermine the whole of the UK financial system.

Repeat until defeated during an election... "Tax, and spend... Tax, and spend..."
    Vieze Oude Man

I blame new labour voters
    Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

A pleasant environment helps all that important decision-making.

I expect that cronies and kick-backs play a large part in whoever is carrying out the work.

Comment

Surely they should be re-branded as the "Ministry of Peace"
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

For staff, refit highlights include:

# Luxury office chairs worth more than £1,000 for each of the 3,100 civil servants

# The purchase of more than 3,500 oak doors for a total cost of £3m, or up to £1,200 each

# The restoration of a “terrazzo” marble and stone floor in the renovated “pillared hall”

# A restaurant, a coffee bar, three large plasma screens on each of the 10 floors, a gym and “quiet rooms” where staff can take a break.
          It's only fair for Britain's hard-working civil servants. Oh, and don't forget to collect your gold-plated underwritten by the taxpayer pension when you retire at 50, will you?
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
            # A restaurant, a coffee bar, three large plasma screens on each of the 10 floors, a gym and “quiet rooms” where staff can take a break.
            I bet there is no one on this forum who's work place doesnt have a restaurant, coffee bar, at the very least three large plasma's and access to gym facilities.

If you dont then you obviously dont work for a blue chip client

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              I bet there is no one on this forum who's work place doesnt have a restaurant, coffee bar, at the very least three large plasma's and access to gym facilities.

Mailman
              Should the Public/Private Sector be comparable for working environments?
              Should Public/Private sector remuneration be comparable?

No & No
              HTH
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Mailman
                Working for a bank, we don't have any of these. Not so much as a vending machine in fact, you have to boil a kettle to get a tea/coffee. In short, a primitive place.
                Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Indeed, Troll. The deal for public sector bods always was you do a crappy job no one with any talent or flair wants to do, for not much money in a fairly shabby building. In return you can retire at 50 with a gold plated final salary pension for only a 3% contribution.

The current administration has well and truly upset that applecart and the reckoning will be terrible when it comes.
                  I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Mailman
                    Got all of these here, plus X-Boxes, table football machines, and pool tables.

Comment

Working...
                    X