• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much is your house worth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is your house worth?

Bedsits don't count.

So what sized houses are we boys living in then? Has it been that good to us.

A conversation with a newish (18mths) contractor I know said he had just bought a new house £275k (£170k mortgage) and planned to pay it off in 7 years at which point he said he would retire!

I said - I'd buy a bigger house and invest more in property( which is what Im doing)

So where are we up to then chaps?

Big house, no mortgage, lots of BTL's.

I need to know!!!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

*sockpuppet forms a new house buyer support group*

Comment

Renting, thirtyish, no house of my own. Don't fancy a mortgage, saving up until I can afford one properly.

Comment

MF, have you bought houses from auctions?? I've been trying to look into it recently, but worried cuz of the commitment of having to go through the deal once the hammer goes down... and not sure that you get a deal really as most houses would have a reserved price !!

Comment

I saw a TV programme where a guy was buying rough as **** ex-squats (shells basically) in the roughest estates in England for about £30K as auction and then selling them on the next month and making about £5K just by sweeping up, boarding the windows and removing the druggie needles etc. A days work for £5K.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

£750k 4 bed detached (living in) and a let 1 bed flat (worth £150k)

Comment

"MF, have you bought houses from auctions?? I've been trying to look into it recently, but worried cuz of the commitment of having to go through the deal once the hammer goes down..."

Yes been to a couple recently. There are bargains to be had but to be honest I'm going because the type of house we are looking to move to just doesnt come up. 5-20 Acres, country property needs doing up.

For some reason they never go on the boards at estate agents always at auction. You also need to be able to move quickkly as penalty fees apply.

dman this kyeboard.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My place, Ive just put it on the market, no mortgage.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

Comment

We used to live in a four storey round the corner from there in the early '70s. Shame the folks sold up. Didn't even make 12 thou then. Ah well.

Comment

Not worth enough that I could sell and retire.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X