• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Million quid fine on rail company for not preventing an idiot for being an idiot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Million quid fine on rail company for not preventing an idiot for being an idiot

The company behind Gatwick Express has been fined a million quid for a health and safety breach due to having too much clutter around a sign saying "do not lean out of window".
    You don't need a sign to tell you that unless you are mentally retarded grrrr!

I mean, has anyone on here ever stuck their head out (on older trains) and not been cognizant of the risks?

Govia Thameslink fined GBP1m over Gatwick Express window death - BBC News

H+S is there to prevent the unwary getting hurt, not to prevent the determined.
    Did he breed or is he a contender for a Darwin?

Having just read the article this stood out:

described by friends as a life-long railway fanatic who was working in the rail industry
    Now call me sceptical if you wish but this stinks.
    Last edited by NigelJK; 17 July 2019, 13:38.

Comment

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        The company behind Gatwick Express has been fined a million quid for a health and safety breach due to having too much clutter around a sign saying "do not lean out of window".

I mean, has anyone on here ever stuck their head out (on older trains) and not been cognizant of the risks?

Yes, but only the once...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

damn beat me to it!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I hate these hermetically sealed bog units. I used to enjoy riding in the inter carriage area of the old 125s with both windows down. Something I could do up until about a month or so ago ?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

When I was a kid travelling by train to North Wales for the summer hols, I'd spend half the journey with my head out of the window, and arrive looking like a red-eyed miner after a long shift at the coal face.

Seems to me these outside obstacles shouldn't be so close to the train, and I'm sure they never used to be.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                When I was a kid travelling by train to North Wales for the summer hols, I'd spend half the journey with my head out of the window, and arrive looking like a red-eyed miner after a long shift at the coal face.

Seems to me these outside obstacles shouldn't be so close to the train, and I'm sure they never used to be.
                Indeed it was fairly common to stick your head out the window when I was a kid. If there is an obstacle on the route they should have made sure the windows didn't open wide enough to put your head out, or a big warning on the window.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Indeed it was fairly common to stick your head out the window when I was a kid. If there is an obstacle on the route they should have made sure the windows didn't open wide enough to put your head out, or a big warning on the window.
                  Let people stick their heads out if they're stupid enough. Natural selection, init?
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                    I used to enjoy riding in the inter carriage area of the old 125s with both windows down.
                    Hmmmm....inneresting....

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
                    Inter carriage area with the windows down every 5 minutes does it for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X