• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sofia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sofia

I know there are a couple of people on here who have been to Sofia and have been more than once so any hints or tips? I fly out on Saturday for a couple of weeks to do some work there so not too much time for sightseeing but do have one weekend free. TIA...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I know there are a couple of people on here who have been to Sofia and have been more than once so any hints or tips? I fly out on Saturday for a couple of weeks to do some work there so not too much time for sightseeing but do have one weekend free. TIA...
    I have a few clients in Sofia and a villa in Veliko Tarnovo. I will post some tips when I get time.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

For thems what chase BA tier points, Sofia is a good 160 point destination too. Not that I've been but it's now on my shortlist following BA ceasing flights to Kiev.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        For thems what chase BA tier points, Sofia is a good 160 point destination too. Not that I've been but it's now on my shortlist following BA ceasing flights to Kiev.

Good to know.

I believe that Moscow is still the closest where they have a first class cabin.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Good to know.

Indeed my favourite flight in 1st (so cheap on points)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Rila Monastery

Rila Monastery is a nice place to visit and not too far from Sofia (1.5 - 2 hrs drive). It is in the mountains so you can go walking around there too if that is your thing. It is possible to stay in the monastery itself for about £5 / night - the rooms are pretty spartan but it is a fun experience (I was travelling with a local though so I am not certain who this is available for).

Further along the same road is Melnik which is the wine capital of Bulgaria and a rather nice town. The road is quite slow though because it is single lane and has lots of lorries on it. Watch out for crazy overtaking. If you see Blacked out Bentleys and Range Rovers driving in convoy then just let them overtake you as they are the local mafia.

I recommend the Kofte (small burgers) and Kebabche (sausage/kebabs) and all the salad there is delicious. In Rila they do some nice brown trout from the river. For breakfast the Banitsa (filo pastry with feta cheese) is very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Good to know.

It's ok for Tarbs cos he goes regularly to visit his Russian bride, but for your average tourist it's a faff to get a visa for a weekend points run

Malta is another 160 points destination, but can be pricey.
              Last edited by ladymuck; 29 July 2019, 20:04.

Comment

Ah Sofia, that brings back memories. I was hitch hiking there in the 70s and was sleeping rough in a shop doorway. A young lady mistook me for a pile of rubbish and peed on me.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Freewill View Post
                  Rila Monastery is a nice place to visit and not too far from Sofia (1.5 - 2 hrs drive). It is in the mountains so you can go walking around there too if that is your thing. It is possible to stay in the monastery itself for about £5 / night - the rooms are pretty spartan but it is a fun experience (I was travelling with a local though so I am not certain who this is available for).

Further along the same road is Melnik which is the wine capital of Bulgaria and a rather nice town. The road is quite slow though because it is single lane and has lots of lorries on it. Watch out for crazy overtaking. If you see Blacked out Bentleys and Range Rovers driving in convoy then just let them overtake you as they are the local mafia.

I recommend the Kofte (small burgers) and Kebabche (sausage/kebabs) and all the salad there is delicious. In Rila they do some nice brown trout from the river. For breakfast the Banitsa (filo pastry with feta cheese) is very nice.
                  I quite agree with Freewill

Also, don’t change money at the airport. Take some BGN cash with you.
                  Take the Metro from the Airport to the Centre.
                  Buy a weekly ticket or carnet (about 65p per journey)

Tickets Sofia Metro

If you take a taxi, sit in the front and either agree the fare before hand or make sure they use the meter. I have never been ripped off by a taxi in Bulgaria, in fact, sometimes they have lowered the fare; I then make it up in a tip. But there is always a chance of a rogue taxi.

Beware: Nod means No, shake means yes. ( this still catches me out sometimes)

Graffiti: Loads of it in Sofia but it does not mean the area is bad.

Food. Really good fast food = Outstanding Bar & Grill Menu - Happy

Try walking down some of the side roads and try local cafes. Steak, chips salad and large beer or two £5.00.
                  Start of walking tours (self or group) = St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral
                  Also a nearby market “Ladies Market”.

The Vitosha mountain is located on the outskirts of Sofia. Good for hiking, climbing, mountain biking. ( Bus 66 about 50 mins)
                  Take a picturesque train ride on the edge of the Vratsa National Park ( 1.5 hours each way about £8 return 1st class) stop and return at MEZDRA or ROMAN. Buy a slice of pizza and a drink to take with you as there is no catering on the train. (People generally chat with strangers on the train, so take some fruit from the market to share. People are generally very friendly towards foreigners)

:: БДЖ :: Разписание

Sofia and district are an important centre for film making as is the rest of Bulgaria. Loads of Hollywood productions are made there and even some British TV series.

Last edited by Paddy; 1 August 2019, 15:16.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

For money at the airport just use a cash machine. There is 1 by the luggage carousals and a few if you turn left as you walk out of security - although the UBB one is slightly fussy over what card it accepts.

For taxis at the airport as you leave security just turn right and and walk out the end door and there is a OK Taxi rank there.

And if you are at the Hilton ping me as I'm there Monday to Friday next week..

Comment

Working...
                    X