• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Birmingham rush hour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birmingham rush hour

Anyone have practical knowledge?

I'm considering flying my weekly commute from Birmingham instead of fighting my way around or through London. I'd drive up the M1 from Beds (not MK or I would take the train), and Mappy says about 1 hour 30 mins to the airport.

Does anyone know how the traffic is around Birmingham around 8 am? Would I be better just to stick to the M25 that I know?

Does anyone know how the traffic is around Birmingham around 8 am?
    Like most major cities - its a fecking nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by becker
      Like most major cities - its a fecking nightmare.
      Cheers for the confirmation. I'll probably leave well alone, and stick to good old Heathrow.

Comment

Whoa! If you are coming from Beds, you hit the airport before you get into Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Whoa! If you are coming from Beds, you hit the airport before you get into Birmingham.
          Off the M6 at junction 4, and then about 3 miles on the M42 then 2 miles on the A45, isn't that it? Does this bit get blocked up?

I ask because e.g. when I go to Heathrow I can easily spend 30 minutes on the last mile. I'd hate to breeze up the M!/M& and then do exactly the same near Birmingham instead.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Anyone have practical knowledge?

I'm considering flying my weekly commute from Birmingham instead of fighting my way around or through London. I'd drive up the M1 from Beds (not MK or I would take the train), and Mappy says about 1 hour 30 mins to the airport.

Does anyone know how the traffic is around Birmingham around 8 am? Would I be better just to stick to the M25 that I know?
            Depends. The airport is peachy to get to. Stay off the M6 as its a fecking nightmare around Coventry.

My route would be: M40 -> M42 -> Airport from the south but depends where you'd join the M1 I suppose.

M1 -> M45 -> A45 -> Airport isnt too bad in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              Off the M6 at junction 4, and then about 3 miles on the M42 then 2 miles on the A45, isn't that it? Does this bit get blocked up?

I ask because e.g. when I go to Heathrow I can easily spend 30 minutes on the last mile. I'd hate to breeze up the M!/M& and then do exactly the same near Birmingham instead.
              The M42 is great for the airport. It has its own road from the M42. The main problem is that the M6 is closed at Junction 6 (on / off traffic) so it means the tail backs are a joke and can get to Junction 4. Junction 3 is also generally messy in the morning.

The other routes are better.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                And don't forget there's a shedload of gatsos on the A45...
                Ahem, car registered in another country.

Comment

Working...
                X