• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Within IR35 and you get taxed twice or am I being really stupid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im still trying to get my head around the IR35 stuff but luckily I wont be going contracting for another month or 2 so I can ask you lot lots of stupid questions and not get any mickey taking at allll

Anyway if I was to be within IR35, I would get company taxed as Im limited company and then taxed the normal rate on my wages going to me from my limited company right.... or am I missing something totaly obvious as I did read all my IR35 stuff before the xmas break...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 October 2011, 12:37.

I would duck if I were you.................... INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Mervalous
      Im still trying to get my head around the IR35 stuff but luckily I wont be going contracting for another month or 2 so I can ask you lot lots of stupid questions and not get any mickey taking at allll

Anyway if I was to be within IR35, I would get company taxed as Im limited company and then taxed the normal rate on my wages going to me from my limited company right.... or am I missing something totaly obvious as I did read all my IR35 stuff before the xmas break...
      You can't pay tax on the same money (well sort of).

Inside IR35 = pay yourself a deemed salary which lowers your profit so lower CT bill.

Comment

I know I know Im probably misreading something really obvious and I will now be told contracting is not for me. I have looked into this quite a bit but this one area just has me puzzled.

As they way I think about it:

in or out of IR35 Ill be recieving my money like this:
        Company - Agency - My LTD Company - Me
        So Id expect that when the agency pay my company the company gets charged company tax at 19%, then when my company pays me Ill be getting the standard Tax payments. Only way it workds better is if Im getting dividends as my main payment or is that out when within IR35.... god one min I think I have this IR35 stff down and the next i confuse myself again...

Comment

CT Tax @ 19% is on PROFITS. Not cash flow in.

Go read the first timer guides. Are you sure your caught in IR35....do you have a contract yet? Its a contract by contract thing so you should not be caught by it if you are sensible.

Comment

I know I know Im probably misreading something really obvious and I will now be told contracting is not for me. I have looked into this quite a bit but this one area just has me puzzled.

As they way I think about it:

in or out of IR35 Ill be recieving my money like this:
            Company - Agency - My LTD Company - Me
            So Id expect that when the agency pay my company the company gets charged company tax at 19%, then when my company pays me Ill be getting the standard Tax payments. Only way it workds better is if Im getting dividends as my main payment or is that out when within IR35.... god one min I think I have this IR35 stff down and the next i confuse myself again...
            Your company pays 19% Corporation Tax on profits. Any money that the company pays to you personally as salary is not a profit to the company, because the company has not kept that money.

So if you personally are paying income tax on it because it is (deemed to be) salary, that particular money is not profit to the company, so the company does not pay Corporation Tax on it.

Comment

What happens if you lose an IR35 investigation? You have to pay the extra income tax, but presumably get back the corporation tax you've paid. Do they just work out the balance?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                What happens if you lose an IR35 investigation? You have to pay the extra income tax, but presumably get back the corporation tax you've paid. Do they just work out the balance?
                That is the interesting one......

You'll need to reopen the CT year and there just might be circumstance where that can't happen. Same if you've paid divis etc. There is some guidance in the parctioners guide on HMRC website.

In theory it makes no difference iat the end of it all, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Comment

aha sory guys I was being a bit dense, missed the whole CT tax is on profits thats all.

I havent got a contract yet, Im waiting till around the end of Jan to start looking. From what Ive been reading it may be difficult for me to fall OUT of IR35, my job is a software tester but I will try and peak to some other software testers and see how tnhey get round it, just seems the nature of what i do would put me within IR35 from the definitions Ive seen. Obviously I do need to do more research though.

Comment

you are being really stupid

Comment

Working...
                    X