• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wicker Man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wicker Man

Got a copy for £3.99 at HMV if you spent over £20.

I've never seen it before and didn't even know what the story was about, even though it's an old cult movie from the 70s. I really loved it - all the more so because I was so ignorant about it, particularly the cleverness of the plot which is the horror part , rather than the 'barbecued bobby' scene at the end.

The best part for me is the music. I love it, particularly that folk tune Brit Ekland sings (mimes to?) when she's writhing around naked in her room. The scene, her then hubby, Rod Stewart, was far from chuffed about. There again, I'm a great fan of acoustic celtic and folk music anyway! I've got loads of Enya, Clannad, Lorreena McKennitt, Blackmore's Night, early Tull and so on.

In the film I thought Chris Lee looked rather odd without fangs - a bit like Nimoy without pointy ears.

Anyone else seen it? I know there is a newer version set in Washington but it has terrible reviews - and the original 70s version, which I picked up, is still the one to see.
    Last edited by Denny; 9 January 2007, 00:05.

Originally posted by Denny
    I've never seen it before
    Good heavens Denny! Where have you been?

Must have seen it a dozen times but it still works its sinister magic.

Low budget British horror at it's best. Not a gory bloodfest - it just creeps you out with those sinister, inbred, satanic characters that you just know inhabit our rural outlands.

Good ending too. Lots of SMOKING (wicker and flesh, that is).

p.s. 'Chris' Lee? I don't think he'd take very kindly to being called 'Chris'. A bit more formality please.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
      Good heavens Denny!

p.s. 'Chris' Lee? I don't think he'd take very kindly to being called 'Chris'. A bit more formality please.
      Lord Summerville then, or Drakky

My favourite cult horror movie was Stepford Wives (the original with Katherine Ross, not the remake). I think it's better than the Wicker Man even though neither are gore fest films - more Sunshine Horror than Moonlight Horror. I though the climax to TWM was a bit disappointing really and not really 'chilling' enough (no pun intended), even though the plot was very clever. I thought the use of humour in SW was better as well with good lines, great casting of rather than simply relying on rather absurd Beatrix Potter style animal masks peeping over brick walls.
      Last edited by Denny; 9 January 2007, 00:31.

Comment

The best part for me is the music. I love it, particularly that folk tune Brit Ekland sings (mimes to?) when she's writhing around naked in her room.
        I believe that it isn't Britt, but a body double that you see. Ingrid Pitt in the bath is worth the 3.99 though.
        Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

My parents used to live near Newton Stewart in Dumfries and Galloway where a lot of it was filmed. Culzean Castle is where Christopher Lee's character is based and it's well worth a visit. You can still see the stumps of the wicker man they burned at the top of the cliffs just round the corner from Stranraer. Lovely part of the country, and the locals aren't quite as bad as they are in the film...
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            You can still see the stumps of the wicker man they burned at the top of the cliffs just round the corner from Stranraer.
            Unfortunately not anymore, somebody stole them a few weeks ago.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

The best part for me is the music. I love it, particularly that folk tune Brit Ekland sings (mimes to?) when she's writhing around naked in her room. The scene, her then hubby, Rod Stewart, was far from chuffed about.
              The Whicker Man was made two years before Britt Ekland met Rod Stewart.

Comment

Excellent film though Denny.

My favourite is The Haunting - the 1960-ish black-and-white original, not the recent remake.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  The Whicker Man was made two years before Britt Ekland met Rod Stewart.
                  But Rod Stewart tried to buy the rights to the film when he saw his newly acquired girlfriend writhing around naked. He failed, apparently, but his anger does suggests that it was BE's body not a double's.

Comment

Ah, I thought you said "her then hubby".

Comment

Working...
                    X