• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you think

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think

OK, perhpas a silly questions, but would like the opinion experienced contractors on this... I am reaching the stage where I have worked on so many roles on a project, varied from req gathering, design, implementation, testing and support ... so on most project they look at my CV and they start using me to do a lot of tasks that is nothing to do with the original role ... its no problem really, most of the time it makes me valuable to the project and was extended and called back... the problem now is that I can produce most deliverable within a few days (basically modify the old deliverable etc) am just thinking is this wise, should I be estimating weeks/months to do a deliverable then spend the time on CUK .... then half an hour before the deadline just make the modification and deliver..i.e. to make it look as if I worked really hard for weeks/months, its just because I am churning out deliverables so fast, am getting more and more work, while others are taking their time and getting less work...am I being stupid??

la la la

Comment

I'm a bit the same - I crack through stuff at a stupid rate (mostly because I do the same things time and time again).

It's pointless trying to purposely slow yourself down though, cause it just makes the day drag.
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

I know what you mean. A few times I've had to do stuff that would probably take your average developer a week, but because I've done exactly the same thing a couple of times over I can pretty much bash it out in a couple of hours, without really needing any development or debugging because I know what all the issues are and what all the solutions are.

It just doesn't seem fair that I bill for a few hours work in those circumstances. I've found myself trying to pad things out before, but as SA says, you just get bored.

But then per hour or per day is the deal we've agreed to, which is mainly in the contractor's interest. I would think most companies would be happier talking about a fixed price for each deliverable.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm with VectraMan on this one. If you're good enough to be able to do the work so easily - the answer is to move onto payment for outputs (deliverables) rather than for inputs (hours/days worked). After all, if the client is happy with what you're delivering, then you should get the benefits of being so good at the job....
          Plan A is located just about here.
          If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

hmmm

I am of the thought where if you finish the work too quickly...you end up working yourself out of a contract early....

Although I do know that when you're focused, it does make the day go by quicker.....

so boredom vs full contract.....

full contract for me every time....

Comment

Look for opportunities to develop yourself & the customers solutions.

There lies renewals and more skills. Add auto updating, distribution, self healing, enhanced reports etc options to the spec, talk to the users.

Did me alright in a number of permie & contract jobs.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Try not to get typecast - can you look at other projects? Or part-time things for other companies? Or do some learning of new skills?

Its a good position to be in - a happy problem! Well done!!!

Comment

Working...
                X