• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long will it take...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will it take...

My last permie job was the biggest doss ever...i did it for three years...no stress, worked from home loads, finished early....when I went home from work, I virtually never thought about work....

fast forward to now....

contractor.....this contract and the last contract is infinitely more challenging and interesting, but equally more stressful....

I can't seem to switch off.......with this latest contract, I am constantly going through task lists in my mind, potential actions, etc......

I am knackered and i want to go to bed....is this stress??

And how long before I can get use to this.....so I can switch off easier...1 year??

You may never "get used to it". Depends on you and the job etc.

If you are asking when you can start loafing about and finishenig early then again, depends on you and the contract.

Comment

asking about getting used to the new work pressures.....

I do work well, as in always meetin deadlines, qty work no problem...just this mental state that i am in....

i don't want to be posting past midnight......i want to be sleeping.....

although i must say sockpuppet...you are one active poster

thanks for the post

Comment

Find a hobby...If you own a house the regular maintenence should keep you busy enough and your mind off work.

A wife also does the trick...but that is a difficult option for most on this board.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract
          although i must say sockpuppet...you are one active poster
          Thats what happens when you dont have a contract.

Falling into the trap that MF talks about...got an interview for a gig this afternoon and its really not making me feel the love.

Current rate is £x. I may just do rate + 20% for this place and take it for the money. Its only 3 months so I "think" I can stick it for that long if its bad.

Comment

My last permie job was the biggest doss ever...i did it for three years...no stress, worked from home loads, finished early....when I went home from work, I virtually never thought about work....

fast forward to now....

contractor.....this contract and the last contract is infinitely more challenging and interesting, but equally more stressful....

I can't seem to switch off.......with this latest contract, I am constantly going through task lists in my mind, potential actions, etc......

And how long before I can get use to this.....so I can switch off easier...1 year??
            Funny I used to have exactly this stress you talk about when I was working as a consultant (worked for 2 of the top 5) but contracting is piss easy by comparason, I have this contract for 6 months just started last week and I've almost finished all my deliverables (cus I did this stuff over 100 times before) only one deliverable is left (I haven't started it yet) but as long as I get the access to the technical specs I know I can finish it with no problem !!

My advice? its not the contracting, its the contract you are on, some contracts can be more stressful, not because of the work, most of the time its because of the people and the culture, so the good news for you is you don't have to stay there forever, when your contract finish go for a less stressful contract, be a bit more selective if you like - its worth doing this now and again for the sake of your health.

People go to establish their own business for various reasons, some of us because they want to be their own boss, be selective of where and when to work, others are doing it to increase income and profitability or may be the sheer challenge of building a successful business, its good to know the reason you went into business (contracting) was it to increase profitability in a very short period or flexibility? Are you achieving your targets?? Assess your situation and produce a plan to follow.

Comment

It won't always be like this, as a previous poster said its not contracting its just the contract you're on. You'll miss the invigorating feeling of getting on with it you have at the moment when you're on another contract I bet! My personal experience is that more than half of contracts are of the getting very bored drinking coffee all day variety, chances are you'll get that type next time.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes
                It won't always be like this, as a previous poster said its not contracting its just the contract you're on. You'll miss the invigorating feeling of getting on with it you have at the moment when you're on another contract I bet! My personal experience is that more than half of contracts are of the getting very bored drinking coffee all day variety, chances are you'll get that type next time.
                Sounds like my current gig - bored out of my ******* mind....gotta get out asap.
                Call the cops

Comment

fast forward to now....

WELCOME TO THE CLUB MATE

Comment

fast forward to now....

I found it the complete opposite - I always had way more stress, worked way more hours, loads more to do when I was a permie.
                    I feel like I've been on a 4 year holiday contracting to be honest.

You're probably working too hard and being too efficient! Stop that imediately before you show the rest of us up!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X