• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do i need an accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do i need an accountant?

I'm wondering if I need an accountant? I'm thinking of retaining all profits within the company.

Do I need an accountant or can I do everything myself? As in pay Corporation Tax and file my accounts to companies house?

regards

I'd advise yes.

You CAN do all the filing yourself however this whole "retain all profits in business" thing that you have going on really needs to be looked over by an accountant. I dont know what you are planning on doing but unless you plan to work for free and never take any money out there are better ways to do it and an accountant you must seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      I'd advise yes.

You CAN do all the filing yourself however this whole "retain all profits in business" thing that you have going on really needs to be looked over by an accountant. I dont know what you are planning on doing but unless you plan to work for free and never take any money out there are better ways to do it and an accountant you must seek.
      I'm going to keep all profits in the company and use money from somewhere else to live on. For the first few months I'm thinking of not using an accountant, but will use one (Nixon Williams) when doing corporation tax and filing the year end accounts.
      Last edited by poopscoop; 10 January 2007, 17:45.

Comment

Thats really not the best way unless you have another wage to live on.

If not (living on savings) then you might as well take money out of the business and use up your full tax allowance.

There are more tax efficent ways of getting the cash out of the business than just re-investing it.

Comment

I would suggest that you get one from day one, the setup can be important and if that is wrong it can be expensive to put right.

For the sake of a few quid each month is it really worth the hassle of trying to do something we do not really understand?

I have never regretted having one (Nixon's) they save time and money
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Having too much money in company accounts can lead to problems as the IR may want to re-categorise your company as a Financial Services company and tax you differently.

Or something like that.

Get yerself an accountant, basically.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I was thinking of setting up my limited company now, without an accountant. When my first contract finishes and if I do get a second contract then I will get an accountant.

I'm thinking of doing it this way as I am retaining profits and not taking anything out.

Regards

Comment

Even if you don't want to spend the profits you could take your taxable allowance and your expense claims out and place them into something more profitable than your banking account.

Comment

Originally posted by poopscoop
                  I was thinking of setting up my limited company now, without an accountant. When my first contract finishes and if I do get a second contract then I will get an accountant.

Regards
                  I think this will be a false economy, get an accountant and avoid the hassle!
                  "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

If your intention is to only do the one short term contract then it is possible to simply declare the income on your tax return and pay the appropriate personal tax then.

Of course, it is advisable to engage an accountant if you are a little green at these things.

Comment

Working...
                    X