• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

pen is mightier than the laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pen is mightier than the laptop

Left site last night... packed up the 2 week old vaio that i am coding on exclusively..
    got to the pub.. opened the laptop... i had closed the lid on a biro resting on the keyboard..
    Screen is screwed and i am sitting at the client site explaining that i will get the code base off the machine as soon as possible and still on target to hit a revised deadline..

Problem is it won't output to a monitor or a projector for some reason.. what a bag of do do!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

sheet. how much work since last backup?

i have a fear of doing exactly what you did - i never, ever leave anything on top of the portable desktop that i use.

i had a similar thing happen a few months ago - got to site, got out laptop and i could not open it! the lid was not for moving. spent over two hours quietly trying to open it whilst needing to use a client machine....

i eventually wiggled it free to much relief. still takes a special knack to open - a new security feature.

Comment

monday morning was last backup.... so only an hours worth of coding...
      but come on who wants to write that again...
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Just take the HDD out and stick it in a normal PC.

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
          Problem is it won't output to a monitor or a projector for some reason.. what a bag of do do!!!
          Sorry if this is obvious, but usually you need to hit a Fn+F key combination to enable external video output (e.g. Fn + F7 on a Thinkpad). Assume VAIO works in a simliar way.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

yeah its the same bogey but it won't output... phoned sony and they couldn't help.

Thanks for suggestions everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              Sorry if this is obvious, but usually you need to hit a Fn+F key combination to enable external video output (e.g. Fn + F7 on a Thinkpad). Assume VAIO works in a simliar way.
              Either that, or get a USB port replicator with an external VGA adaptor built-in. I have a Targus/Lenovo one that does this - the laptop lid stays closed at home.
              "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
              X