• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should we be a major military power?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we be a major military power?

Tony Blair is giving a speech on should Britain continue to be a major military power in the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6254253.stm

Interesting thought, should the UK continue to be involved in global conflicts or should we concentrate on defense of the UK (and that would probably involve defence of the EU as well)?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Originally posted by ratewhore
    Tony Blair is giving a speech on should Britain continue to be a major military power in the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6254253.stm

Interesting thought, should the UK continue to be involved in global conflicts or should we concentrate on defense of the UK (and that would probably involve defence of the EU as well)?

Well, if we develope the wepons and support needed for global conflicts it can only be good for the UK as we would also be exporting to other countries....
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

The UK is a major military power and has always punched above its weight with regards to size etc.

As for continuning to fight in conflicts I'll quote my Staff Sgt who took me through my basic training "the best method training availible is to start a war with someone. You learn many times faster"

Comment

Yep. I heard they were looking for the next oil reserves and giant alien space lizard planet was looking a likley target.

Comment

Does our fighting support our defence companies R&D and manufacturing effort? would RR,BAE,Vickers etc. be so good without a global showcase of regional wars?

We could outsource all the actual fighting m'larky to the Indians - bit like the Gurkas,and keep the Paras,Marines & Commandos for sorting out the UK flashpoints - Bradford, Leeds etc.

It's remarkable that it's a Labour politician that has a record of regularly sending the gunboats in (metaphorically speaking)

MOD bollox:
          The settlement for defence allows us to invest in new capabilities to increase our agility, flexibility and deployability. Providing world-class equipment to our Armed Forces requires major investment, so as well as using these increased resources we are also driving a major efficiency programme to maximise every penny spent on defence.
          The Ministry of Defence is committed to making 2.5% efficiency gains over the Spending Review period. This equates to £2.8 billion of efficiencies over the three years to 2007/08 which allows us to reinvest in Defence.
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

WE should be a major power - but why do we have to do everything the USA wants?

I say declare war on USA now...

Comment

But that's the burning question isn't it? WHY should we be a major power in the world? Is there not an argument for withdrawing from the main stage if it can be shown that it would be in the UK's interests to do so?

For example, military spending would be reduced as we no longer have to send troops to those areas the US deem it necessary to police. This would mean surplus cash to fund a proper NHS or reduce tax or whatever?

[RW in devils advocate mode]

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
                WE should be a major power - but why do we have to do everything the USA wants?

I say declare war on USA now...
                The mouse that roared?

Comment

As war is such a hugely expensive business, I would propose that we do not conduct warfare against any country that upon beating, we could not then loot it's natural resources and assets & steal it's child bearing aged women away as slaves.
                  To go to war on for some spurious principle or when not directly under threat of attack seems absurd
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                    But that's the burning question isn't it? WHY should we be a major power in the world? Is there not an argument for withdrawing from the main stage if it can be shown that it would be in the UK's interests to do so?

For example, military spending would be reduced as we no longer have to send troops to those areas the US deem it necessary to police. This would mean surplus cash to fund a proper NHS or reduce tax or whatever?

[RW in devils advocate mode]

Sure it could be done, but without the bread and circuses, the population might start questioning other things.

Comment

Working...
                    X