• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hold your Wee for a Wii

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold your Wee for a Wii

Funny story

A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/wat....ap/index.html
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

"water intoxication" ... when that b.astard Brown finds out he going to put taxes on it.
    Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Yep.

If you drink too much water you dilute the electrolites in your body and your nerves can no longer conduct a signal.

In essence you timeout then die.

Comment

sounds like god outsourced that little system... no recoverable error handling???
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

This was the real cause of the death of Leah Betts, the famous "one tab of ecstacy makes your brain swell and kill you" story of the mid nineties when the tabloid hype of the evils of e were at its height.

Her parents still bang on about it even though they should really be campaigning for better awareness.

Maybe this poor lady would still be alive of some of the fsckwits at the radio station were aware of the problem.

Ho-hum, am sure the resulting law suit will get her kiddies an Xbox as well as a wii - good old mum, she didn't die in vain...

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            Yep.

If you drink too much water you dilute the electrolites in your body and your nerves can no longer conduct a signal.

In essence you timeout then die.

You sure about that? I ask because I have an immune disease. I produce anti bodies to the chemical used to transmit messages across the nerve/muscle junction thus muscle control is seriously impaired.

How do hydration levels affect the transmission of the signal - I understand they can affect the brain end - so the signals don't get transmitted in the first place but that doesn't seem to be what you are saying.

Comment

from Wikipedia

Body fluids contain electrolytes (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride) in concentrations that must be held within very narrow limits. Water enters the body orally or intravenously and leaves the body primarily in the urine and in sweat. If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs.
              Most water intoxication is caused by hyponatremia, an overdilution of sodium in the blood plasma, which in turn causes an osmotic shift of water from extracellular fluid (outside of cells) to intracellular fluid (within cells). The cells swell as a result of changes in osmotic pressure and may cease to function. When this occurs in the cells of the central nervous system and brain, water intoxication is the result. Additionally, many other cells in the body may undergo cytolysis, wherein cell membranes that are unable to stand abnormal osmotic pressures rupture, killing the cells. Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the stomach or intravenously.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I see. The CNS falls apart and the messages fail along the way.

Comment

SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

does that mean you can kill someone by forcing him to drink lot of water.
                    we dont need guns anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X