• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ask for a rate increase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask for a rate increase

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6265765.stm

New inflation figures due to be published are expected to show the cost of living has reached an 11-year high.
    A week after householders were hit by another rise in interest rates, some City analysts predict the inflation rate for December will be close to 3%.

The target rate is 2% - but if it goes above 3%, the Bank's governor Mervyn King would have to write a letter of explanation to the government.

This would be for the first time since the Bank gained independence in 1997.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Doomed.

Etc.

Boomed...
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Yes, cause now you can go from £5 an hour to £5.15!

Mailman

Comment

Hummm, 3.0% just not quiet enough to make Mervyn write that letter.

Office of national Stats: Inflation rate

Not sure what is more politically damaging and to who, Mr. King to have to write it because inflation was not under control, or Mr. Brown to receive it because of his policies causing inflation in the first place. What a stroke of luck it wasn’t more than 3.0% isn’t it. Lets here it for the ONS!
        Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Of course the real rate of inflation is much more than 3%.

I cvan understand why motgague rates are included (vicious circle) but why not house prices?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
            I cvan understand why motgague rates are included (vicious circle) but why not house prices?
            Because houses are a capital asset, not a day-to-day expense. Different indices measure different things. Should they target asset price inflation too? Probably.
            Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6265765.stm but if it goes above 3%, the Bank's governor Mervyn King would have to write a letter of explanation to the government.
              Dear Gord me old chum - how's it hanging?

I'm afraid we have a 'little local difficulty' with the plebs, seems they've rumbled that the inflation figures we've been putting out are absolute tosh - your wheeze with altering the stats to keep a lid on this thing I'm afraid just won't cut the mustard anymore - what with above inflation rises for the trains, utilities, council tax etc we've been rumbled.

We are expecting a rise in the number of proles going the IVA route - Bob at the Midland (or whatever it's called these days) is livid that you set up this escape route for the great unwashed... managed to calm him down & to placate all the bean counters at the 'Big 4' if you agree to keep your tanks off their car parks (mainly Maurice at the M&M Commision) we'll stuff a couple of points onto the base rate which will keep them in Bolly for the foreseable future.

See You in No 10 soon

Merv
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Dim, your signature is in very bad taste. If you have any decency you will remove it.

HTH
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

There you go. Wouldn't want any politically incorrect stuff on here Bag-o-Pus.

Comment

"Removed in the name of decency. "

I missed it. What did it say, what did it say?!!

Comment

Working...
                    X