• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed

At a bit of a crossroads and don't know where to turn! In short, I work at a site where our representative from the agency lives with the site manager. (client) Things within the site have changed recently and getting unbearable. Just before christmas I was ill and phoned in. She phoned me back, very unhappy with me (as it was the day of the christmas party) telling me I was causing a problem as certain people couldn't come in as they were attending the office party later that evening. She became very angry and said could I be well enough to come in by 11. I stated again that I had been physically sick and was unwell. I said 'what would you like me to do, come in and be sick over everyone' to which she replied 'stop being so bloody dramatic!' After the telephone call I phoned the agency to speak to the main agent about the way i'd been spoken to, and got told never to bring a complaint about her to him as he would always back her 100 % all of the time, probably because of her relationship with the site manager I would imagine! Since this incident, work is becoming unbearable. If I come across anything onsite that I am not familiar with (I'm a relatively new operator) she is instantly on my back asking how come I don't know. Yesterday I was working on a project she had asked me to complete, then she had a go at me for working on it, saying I should get my priorities straight, so I stopped working on it, to complete other tasks, only to have her have a go at me for not finishing the project she'd told me to stop! I don't know what else to do. I have heard from someone else on shift that 'she has the knife out for me' and then I heard from someone else that they were asked by her if they thought I was competent to do the job. I honestly feel like she is trying to construct my dismissal. It really feels like she is trying to make it unbearable for me to continue here. And because of her relationship with the site manager, and the attitude of her 'boss' I feel I don't have anywhere to take this issue. Several people on site have complained that they are not being treated as contractors but as employees, I just wondered if someone could enlighten me as to what rights we actually have as contractors, and if we have any protection against these kind of personal vendettas happening? It seems my only option is to look for a different contract, which is a shame as I enjoy the job I do and the other people I work with. Like I said, I don't know where to turn.....any options?

My advice to you is to learn how to break your text up into paragraphs.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Blimey, take a breath.

Are you are contractor? You sound like a terrified permie to me.

Comment

This all sounds too permie to me

As for:
        If I come across anything onsite that I am not familiar with (I'm a relatively new operator)
        why don't you post it on the tech board & most here will help out (might take the p1ss but that's the price you have to pay)

Are you really sure Contracting is for you?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Blimey, take a breath.

Are you are contractor? You sound like a terrified permie to me.
          lol, sorry.....( deep breath taken!! )

I'm a contractor in my first role, so not sure what to compare it against. The last month or so though has been getting ridiculous. It feels like I could be leaning back doing the double limbo and I wouldn't be breaking my back enough!

Comment

Originally posted by hrmajestyuk
            I just wondered if someone could enlighten me as to what rights we actually have as contractors, and if we have any protection against these kind of personal vendettas happening?
            None and none
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

You are a contractor.

I can guarentee you won't be renewed there, so you may as well start looking for a better contract.

That's the game I'm afraid. Sometimes you just don't fit in/click or cut the mustard (ask MarillionFan ) and it's time to move onwards & upwards.

These low end support type contracts are the worst. tulip payers and treated like scum. Start moving up the contracting food chain.

The more I'm paid the less I do and less grief I get.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                The more I'm paid the less I do and less grief I get.

HTH
                So true...
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

mate learn how to use paragraphs correctly please.

Comment

Originally posted by hrmajestyuk
                    .....any options?
                    Going to have to switch modes for this one.

<mode idiot=off>

Hand in your notice - TODAY.

I've seen this before in another business context. There is NO chance of things improving. Go as soon as you can, before things get worse. Be prepared to have problems getting a reference and your last invoice paid. Do not hesitate to use a solicitor on the later point.

Such a relationship between the agent and the client can only cause problems. Everyone can learn from this example. If there is any blurring in the relationship, it is more likely than not that there will be problems.

</mode>
                    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Working...
                    X