• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all Scots!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Scots!

Can any of the wonderful Scottish gentlemen on this board please help me with a bit of Glasgow geography please?

I've had an interview for a company based in Starthclyde Industrial Estate (approx 10 miles outside of Glasgow).

Do you know of an easy way to get to this place from Glasgow train station? or will it be a taxi job?

And do you know of any good hotels nearby?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Sal
    ps - I'm off to the boozer for the afternoon, so I wont get to read replies until later on.
    The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Can any of the wonderful Scottish gentlemen on this board please help me with a bit of Glasgow geography please?

I've had an interview for a company based in Starthclyde Industrial Estate (approx 10 miles outside of Glasgow).

Do you know of an easy way to get to this place from Glasgow train station? or will it be a taxi job?

Cheers,
    Sal
    ps - I'm off to the boozer for the afternoon, so I wont get to read replies until later on.
    If you've 'had' an interview does it mean you've got the gig.

And going to Scotland for a contract is usually the last desperate refuge of a failing English contractor <ducks & runs for cover> - something that has to be covered up for subsequent contracts

Permiedom beckons for you young lady!
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You'll need a taxi to get to this gig.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne

Cheers,
        Sal
        Be sure of which town you're looking for: there may be several with something called Strathclyde Industrial Estate. If it is Bellshill, you could get a train from Glasgow (prob 2 per hour, half-hour journey: from memory 35 years ago but I bet little has changed including the rolling stock), then a taxi. Bellshill is the kind of town where there are often no taxis at the station because few can afford them. If you have more details I'll look a bit more (my brother worked at Cisco, who have a place there).

Comment

Is it PPD?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Be sure of which town you're looking for: there may be several with something called Strathclyde Industrial Estate. If it is Bellshill, you could get a train from Glasgow (prob 2 per hour, half-hour journey: from memory 35 years ago but I bet little has changed including the rolling stock), then a taxi. Bellshill is the kind of town where there are often no taxis at the station because few can afford them. If you have more details I'll look a bit more (my brother worked at Cisco, who have a place there).
            Bellshill is close the the famous Pruffock Mansions in the picturesque town of Hamilton - good luck and do drop by for a game of polo.

Comment

Train from Glasgow Central to either Bellshill, Hamilton, or Motherwell, then a taxi to the site.
              Bellshill is only a few minutes away in a taxi, the other two are about 10-15 minutes.

http://www.accessplace.com/taxi/lana.../bellshill.htm
              http://www.accessplace.com/taxi/lana...e/hamilton.htm
              http://www.accessplace.com/taxi/lana...motherwell.htm

Bring a waterproof jacket and wellies !

(I'm assuming it's an ML4 postcode.)
              Last edited by Toad; 17 January 2007, 14:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                If you've 'had' an interview does it mean you've got the gig.

And going to Scotland for a contract is usually the last desperate refuge of a failing English contractor <ducks & runs for cover> - something that has to be covered up for subsequent contracts

Permiedom beckons for you young lady!

I do a lot of work in Glasgow and Edinburgh. There's plenty of it, it pays the going rate, and I prefer it to London.
                I never dreamed failure could pay so well
                Boom boom boom boom
                A-haw haw haw haw
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Forget the taxi. You should register over at www.strathycruise.com and befriend some bawbag who will give you a lift in his Nova. They're very local!

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif
                    I do a lot of work in Glasgow and Edinburgh. There's plenty of it, it pays the going rate, and I prefer it to London.
                    I never dreamed failure could pay so well
                    You bit
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X