• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LCD/Plasma TVs, ready for prime time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD/Plasma TVs, ready for prime time?

Well, after the spending quite a bit on presents for others, I rewarded myself with a nice new LCD TV for Xmas...then a week later took it back to the shop, paid a bit more for one of the new Bravias and...now I'm considering possibly taking that back as well.

What's the problem?, well despite in many ways offering things my old TV couldn't do, being much smaller etc, and at times offering an outstanding picture, the problem I find is the latter. The 'at times' part.

I seem to spend just too much time having to re-adjust this or that when I switch from one channel/dvd to another, or simply change the lighting in the living room, where with my old WEGA I barely did more than press the 'on' button.

Anyone else felt that perhaps their old CRT hulk was better/easier to live with?

Originally posted by Joe Black
    Anyone else felt that perhaps their old CRT hulk was better/easier to live with?
    No.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I like CRT screens....

and valves...

and steam trains...

mmmmmm the smell of steam !

Comment

yep, the smearing you get watching sports on LCD's is just plain rubbish compared to a quality CRT. Not sure if plasmas are that much better in this regard either?

The High Def demos on LCD's are pretty impressive though!

Comment

Noticed Sky's output seems to be degrading lately - can see pixelation on my good old Philip's CRT, would imagine it looks a lot worse on a plasma/crt.

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
            Noticed Sky's output seems to be degrading lately - can see pixelation on my good old Philip's CRT, would imagine it looks a lot worse on a plasma/crt.
            I've noticed this as well - and no it doesn't look good on a plasma - suspect the HD channels are taking all the bandwidth thingy stuff
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
              Well, after the spending quite a bit on presents for others, I rewarded myself with a nice new LCD TV for Xmas...then a week later took it back to the shop, paid a bit more for one of the new Bravias and...now I'm considering possibly taking that back as well.

What's the problem?, well despite in many ways offering things my old TV couldn't do, being much smaller etc, and at times offering an outstanding picture, the problem I find is the latter. The 'at times' part.

I seem to spend just too much time having to re-adjust this or that when I switch from one channel/dvd to another, or simply change the lighting in the living room, where with my old WEGA I barely did more than press the 'on' button.

I bought a Bravia a short while ago and fiddled about with it for a while and then found this site

I followed the settings outlined above and am now pretty happy with it.

Comment

Yep, found that site as well. One of the reasons I took back the Samsung and bought the Bravia, simply because it offered far more possibilities for adjustment.

Am now reasonably happy (sometimes very happy), certainly after sticking the ol' WEGA in front and adjusting until the colours were as good.

Overall though I get the feeling that part the problem is the input (GIGO), where the LCD, even with all the tricks, still shows up any faults much more than my old set.

Comment

Working...
                X