• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hector is being Hectored ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hector is being Hectored ...

Accountants are expressing concern over how efficiently HM Revenue & Customs is processing last year’s tax returns after a number of clients have received reminders in spite of filing their forms several weeks before.

There are fears that the HMRC, which has recently made significant job cuts, is struggling to process the quantity of returns that has arrived in recent weeks. The deadline for filing tax returns for 2005/2006 is January 31.

Mike Warburton, senior tax partner at Grant Thornton, says: “We have had a spate of cases where clients have received reminders even though returns were submitted weeks ago. It seems the backlog in Revenue offices is now so bad that post is sitting in sacks for up to three months and returns are not being processed.”

With threats of a civil service strike at the end of the month and more staff cuts on the way, the situation seems unlikely to improve.

“The Revenue is reducing staff numbers as the methods of processing are becoming more complicated. There is now twice as much tax legislation as there was 10 years ago,” adds Warburton.

John Whiting, tax partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers, has also seen signs that the Revenue is taking longer to process returns. He says that in past years people who filed their returns by October would generally have received details of what tax was due by now – but this has not always been the case this year.

The Revenue guarantees that anyone who files by the end of September will have their tax calculation done for them by the end of this month – rather than having to work it out themselves. But in the past people who have missed this deadline by a matter of weeks have often still received the same treatment.

Whiting says the real worry would be if there was a delay in logging tax returns – risking the possibility of penalty notices being sent out to people who had filed on time.

The Revenue says that every tax return is being logged on arrival and says there is no serious backlog. It says some reminder letters may be received by people who have already filed as it can take weeks for the letters to be processed and sent out.

The Revenue says it will have staff working on January 31 even if the strike goes ahead, and it confirms that any returns received that day will be accounted for. But it strongly recommends that you do not leave filing until the last minute. This is especially the case if you are planning to file online for the first time as you need to apply for a registration number and this can take up to five days to come through.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 January 2007, 14:28.

I got one of those reminders even though I had filed a tax return, received an assesment for a rebate, claimed, received and cashed the cheque.

The stuff about backlog is bollox. I did mine online.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      I got one of those reminders even though I had filed a tax return, received an assesment for a rebate, claimed, received and cashed the cheque.

I'm going to call them tonight after I got a reminder depsite receiving written notification I am no longer tax-resident and exempted from submitting returns. Next step 100 pound penalty followed up by harvesting your organs, ploughing salt into your lands and carrying your women into bondage....

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman

almost the same for me

Pi55 up & Brewery come to mind
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I wouldn't mind, but the wife is going mental at me and the accountant cos we are going to get a fien cos I haven't done it! I work away so she goes into panic mode. I then have to spend ages calming her down so I can get the proper story, to then find out I have done it and then explain to her.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Good, they won't have time to do any pesky IR35 investigations, or the PAYE ones that lead to it.

In Hope.

Comment

More Woe ... sorry folks.

Britain is set to lose out on crucial inward investment because of huge backlogs in the value added tax (VAT) system, a leading accountant warned yesterday.

Blick Rothenberg said delays at the HM Customs & Revenue department responsible for issuing VAT registration numbers had led to a series of overseas companies taking their business to continental Europe rather than setting up in the United Kingdom.

The accountant also warned that the delays had hit small businesses that were registering for VAT for the first time following an increase in their turnover.

Under British tax laws, any company with an annual turnover above the VAT threshold - which is £61,000 in the 2006-7 tax year - is legally required to charge the tax on sales of its products or services. But until a company has a VAT registration number, it is unable to issue VAT invoices.

Until recently HM Revenue & Customs took just three weeks to process applications for registration numbers, but the wait has quadrupled to 12 weeks in recent months because officials at the department are desperately trying to crack down on VAT crimes such as carousel and missing-trader fraud.

In a letter to frustrated accountants sent out earlier this month, HM Revenue & Customs warned: "Although we aim to process applications in three weeks, it is currently taking about 12 weeks. This is because we are now carrying out a wide number of checks on every application."

Alan Pearce, a partner at Blick Rothenberg, said: "While I understand the need to prevent these frauds, bona fide overseas companies are attempting to set up in the UK only to discover that they will have to wait months before being able to properly invoice their customers."

In one case now being dealt with by Mr Pearce, a Canadian company has become so fed up with the time taken to process its application for a VAT number that it has now decided to use the Netherlands as its European base rather than the UK.

The VAT delays are causing some companies serious cashflow problems while they wait to bill customers. Some companies are losing out even more seriously because their lack of a VAT registration number prevents them applying for refunds of tax they would otherwise be eligible to reclaim.

Comment

Working...
              X