• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Real Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Advice

I was asked to document an output of a workshop I did not attend, there were a few flip charts and brown paper with pot it notes, these had words and comments I did not understand (the people who ran the workshop were also contractors not permies) I objected yesterday and I told the boss its not fair to expect me to document something others have attended and ran, he insisted that I should do it, and explained that the others are useless in making comprehensive workshop output documentations, I was not happy and told him that he should at least ask the others to attempt to document it and am happy to help out, I didn't think this task is right for me .... now I think I should have just shut up and not said anything !!! bad mistake I think now am worried they are pi$$ed off with me and may ask me to leave (obviously after I deliver the required docs !!) do you people normally object if asked to perform an unreasonable task or do you just smile sweetly and accept it??

May be I should start looking at jobserve again

Is it cos you is black?

Comment

well the boss insists its because the others are useless and not real analysts, and I am a lot more structured and able to deliver to high standards, but I think its cuz I am a woman

Am happy to carry other permies and do their dirty work, but when someone tells me that other contractors are useless and I need to do their work I get very annoyed and pi$$ed off !!

Comment

are you a permie?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

so it's sexism this time......

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            are you a permie?
            No - contractor

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              Is it cos you is black?

the others are useless in making comprehensive workshop output documentation
              Look at the tatty bits of paper and scrawled notes they left - think up 5 good resons why it's not enough to work from, then calmly approach same manager and apologise for being a little blunt ealier, you've had a look through the material and concluded that their minutes are of such a low std for following reasons that I can't possibly hope to decipher this. It's their responsibility to.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
                but I think its cuz I am a woman
                Do they ask you to make the tea as well?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Object (but not refuse), in writing, with a calm and reasoned explanation why

Then if they still insist that you do it, well do it because your ass is covered when people start saying it is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
                    Object (but not refuse), in writing, with a calm and reasoned explanation why

Then if they still insist that you do it, well do it because your ass is covered when people start saying it is crap.

Just arrange a (workshop) meeting with all the original participants and make them go through the same things to allow you to document them, if they refuse to attend hand the manager the minutes of the meeting which shows a list of non attendees, if they attend you get your info.
                    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Working...
                    X