• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Beckham wage 'causing resentment'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Beckham wage 'causing resentment'

Beckham wage 'causing resentment'

LA Galaxy midfielder Peter Vagenas said there is resentment at the club over the deal signed by David Beckham.

The Major League Soccer club agreed a deal that is worth £128m to Beckham over the five years of his contract.

And Vagenas told BBC Five Live: "I think, as we all are fans of soccer, he is David Beckham and a wise man told me you're worth what you negotiate.

"But at the same time, of course there's resentment, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't."

Vagenas, a holding midfielder, has been with the Galaxy for six years and was a member of the US football team at the 2000 Olympics.

He has made more than 150 appearances for the club and captained them to a cup double in 2005.

Vagenas, who is thought to earn in the region of £63,000 a year (AtW's comment: now that's appropriate salary for kicking ball few times a week), added that he does not blame Beckham for accepting the contract he has been offered.

"He's not stealing the money," said the Pasadena-born player.

"On the one hand more power to him and on the other you say 'why can't I be getting some of that?'."

Beckham agreed his deal with the Galaxy on 12 January and is expected to join them when his contract with Real Madrid expires at the end of the current season.

His deal means that Beckham will be earning 500 times more each week than most of his team-mates at Los Angeles.

--------

No it's not about money Bucks... at least now it is clear that he accepted to be a second rate footballer.

YAY!!! You're back!!!

We've all missed you honey, no matter what the others might say
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

His deal means that Beckham will be earning 500 times more each week than most of his team-mates at Los Angeles.
      Just like being a top IT contractor really.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Good for him. If anyone can persuade others to VOLUNTARILY pay them huge sums (i.e. not politicians, public sector workers, royalty etc.) they are worth it by definition.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Beckham. I knew it was the one thing that could drag AtW back. Surprised it took a week though.

Comment

Welcome back ATW - what have you been up to?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
              Welcome back ATW - what have you been up to?
              Where has he been - has he found a woman? I hope she's a good brummy bonk!

Comment

Working...
              X