• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Basingstoke that bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Basingstoke that bad?

Has it improved in the last years? Still nothing to do there? Any nice surroundings there?*

*Apart from Winchester which is very nice (but also very expensive)
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Driven out of London by property prices Francko?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      Driven out of London by property prices Francko?
      No, tired of being packed like a sardine in the tube.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

So will you get a job out there as well? If you still work in London you will just lengthen your journey and still be in the tube.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
          So will you get a job out there as well? If you still work in London you will just lengthen your journey and still be in the tube.
          Yes, trying to get a job outside London.

Comment

I never bother with Basingstoke and I live next door to it.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yes, Basingstoke is truely awful.

During the day the shopping center in the town is full of chav and plenty of scraps at night. nowhere to get a decent sandwich at lunch.

Thats if you work in the town center - if you work in the 'business parks' you are stuffed totally.

Millions of flippin roundabaouts to get short distances or turn around. And the M3 is always snarled up getting on or off it around there.

I worked there and stayed in Woking which as I discovered was worse.

Gulidford is not a bad place to live (few too many toffs) - and plenty of IT companies around.

Chavs & toffs - Surrey & Hampshire

Comment

Is there anywhere in England that meets the following requirements:

1. There is plenty of IT work nearby
                2. The place isn't full of Chavs
                3. You don't need £1M to live there

Answer:

No

HTH
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  Has it improved in the last years? Still nothing to do there? Any nice surroundings there?*

*Apart from Winchester which is very nice (but also very expensive)
                  Living in Winchester for the last year or so, not that expensive compared to Glasgae, what are you talking about?!
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface
                    Chavs & toffs - Surrey & Hampshire
                    And Oxfordshire. Oh and Berks, Bucks and Herts. And Kent and Sussex. And probably some other places.

I can't believe the number of chavs in the Hampshire village I work in. I thought it would be retired army major country.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X