• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating Time Off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating Time Off

I just informed my manager that i will not be in the office for 5 days in Feb.

The reaction as follows:- We will see what we can do el Duder, there is alot of tulip going on at the mo.

I replied with, well i am giving you 3/4 weeks notice as i will not be in the office on the following dates, i hope its not to much inconvienance for you, however it cannot be avoided.

Now i am suffering from serious bad vibes in the air.

are you inside or outside IR35?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
      are you inside or outside IR35?
      Whats that got to do with it?

I am self-employed. I am not an employee of the company and do not have a contract which states i am a full time employee.

When i need a week off, i book it. I aint having any manager tell me when and why i cant take a tulip.
      Last edited by el duder; 22 January 2007, 13:58.

Comment

Funny - I was just about to speak with my 'manager' to start working a 4 day week, so longer hours, then take a day off, it gives me more time for GF and Plan B
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Personally when I agree a XXX month contract I will work it without taking time off, unless I have agreed it prior to accepting the contract with the client so they were aware of it beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2704
            Personally when I agree a XXX month contract I will work it without taking time off, unless I have agreed it prior to accepting the contract with the client so they were aware of it beforehand.

Normally, i wouldnt take any time off during a contract. But i have my business plan B that needs my attention for 5 days. So i am taking those days as business.

To be honest, the best time to take time off is inbetween contracts, or if the client is going to renew you, you tell them you are having xxx amount of time off before you begin the new contract extenstion.

I didnt mention it, cause i needed specific dates for my plan B and didnt want to risk my day job for it.

Comment

I wouldn't ask to have time off. I would do what El Duder has done, give them notice I'm not available on certain dates...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
                Whats that got to do with it?
                <blah>
                Because if you're outside IR35 then you shouldn't be in this position. You're simply unavailable that week and that's the end of it.
                Of course the client might have a valid reason to need you on site that week... but that's completely different to them "seeing what they can do"
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
                  Normally, i wouldnt take any time off during a contract. But i have my business plan B that needs my attention for 5 days. So i am taking those days as business.

To be honest, the best time to take time off is inbetween contracts, or if the client is going to renew you, you tell them you are having xxx amount of time off before you begin the new contract extenstion.

I didnt mention it, cause i needed specific dates for my plan B and didnt want to risk my day job for it.
                  you're going for an op that will improve your dating chances. Dont be afraid of telling us the truth.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                    You're simply unavailable that week and that's the end of it.
                    You could have not put it any better!

Comment

Working...
                    X