• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear or fair play?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear or fair play?

Goods nicked off a Devon beach including 50 BMW motorbikes!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6287457.stm

Older and ...well, just older!!

Does anybody have route map for it

Comment

IANAL but....

These goods have not been nicked as long as those taking them declare salvage rights. Flotsam, Jetsam and ligan all come under salvage.

The insurers may choose not to recover the goods as their value (after a ship wreck) will not be worth it.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Quite. BMW won't want back 50 bikes that have been in the sea for a day. They will just file a claim for the value of the bikes with the ship owner's insurers.

Sorted.
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
          Quite. BMW won't want back 50 bikes that have been in the sea for a day.
          Hmm, you think so?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

According to latest reports some of these people are nothing more than common thieves.

A number of items as already been listed on ebay.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              According to latest reports some of these people are nothing more than common thieves.

A number of items as already been listed on ebay.
              Thieves my @rse! These people are just individually exercising their right to claim salvage in exactly the same way the salvage company intends to. Obviously it is reprehensible that some @rseholes have chosen to trash the odd bit of personal property that has been washed up, but that fact does not alter the rights of the vast majority of people that have chosen to recycle these goods quite legally.
              As for the environmental aspects, the blame there lies squarely with the salvage company that chose to beach the vessel in Lyme Bay rather than pulling into Falmouth, presumably with at least the tacit approval of the authorities. People down here pay the highest water rates in the country (I pay more than £1K a year ffs!), and the reason is always put down to all the miles of coastline that have to be maintained. Taking that into consideration it is a bit rich of the authorities to try and prevent them from exercising their legal right to peacefully beachcomb. Another of our rights that will be whipped away amidst a smokescreen of unbalanced, unjustified, hysterical, and disingenuous media reporting!! Grrrrr!!

P.S. Anyone want to buy some slightly salty nappies or a motor bike?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
                Thieves my @rse! These people are just individually exercising their right to claim salvage
                There you go talking out of your arse again, nice to see normal service resumed. They can only claim salvage (as I said in my first reply here) if they report that they have done so and intend to return the property if asked. How does that equate to selling it on ebay.

Common thieves.

You may be right with the rest of your rant.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Looks like the missing piece in operation Sea Lion was to make sure lots of BMW motorcycles were washed on the beaches of Devon...

Comment

The police have details of all of the chassis numbers. Also, it would be near impossible to register the bikes in this country.

Best bet is to strip them down and sell the parts.
                    Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Working...
                    X