• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cavity Wall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cavity Wall

I wonder whether anybody has any info that could help...

Just had cavity wall insulation put in (which was nice), but they insisted on drilling a hole in the wall because we have an open wood/coal fireplace with a chimney. This is down to "...building regs, mate..." which is fine I guess to minimise the possibility of the Darwinian death of a numpty in a broom cupboard with a pokey Homebase gas fire... but I digress with my cynicism.

The main issue I have is that drilling a large whole in the side of the wall with a plastic vent has negated all the effectiveness of cavity wall insulataion and the living room is freezing. I've taped up the vent for now.

Despite looking on the net, cannot find anything to tell me whether this applies to:

1. Wood fireplaces with chimney and not just gas fires (although in theory poorly ventilated wood fires can generate CO).

2. Whether we can purchase a glorified cat flap.

To be honest, after the building inspection, I'm going to seal the hole up as it's ridiculous - you can hear the wind blowing into the room now, the entire downstairs is large and totally opened up and in the last 7 years we haven't died yet, although the wife is working on it.

(where's MikeTheBike when you need him)
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

I had a Gas fire installed and the installer insisted on putting a huge vent through the wall which as you rightly say negates all the benefits of heating / insulating.

I taped mine up which probally means I will die a horrible death but did invest in a CO detector next to the fire
    HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

i stuff £20 notes into my cavity.

threaded
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

two steps forward and one back.

I'm not surprised. Rather can install a heat exchanger..which can keep the heat in the house whilst bringing in fresh air .. a very Victorian solution is used.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
          i stuff £20 notes into my cavity.

threaded
          too much information

Comment

It is not about CO2 extraction, it is about o2 induction.
            If there is a chimney in the room then there is already a very large hole drawing air (and any gasses out of the room), but if you have a fire burning with no air induction then the O2 gets burned up.
            You have to have enough ventilation to feed the fire.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

ring the building regs guys at the local council
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                It is not about CO2 extraction, it is about o2 induction.
                If there is a chimney in the room then there is already a very large hole drawing air (and any gasses out of the room), but if you have a fire burning with no air induction then the O2 gets burned up.
                You have to have enough ventilation to feed the fire.
                Why not install the vent next to the fire - or in the fire - so the o2 is immediately burned without creating a draught in the room.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
                  Why not install the vent next to the fire - or in the fire - so the o2 is immediately burned without creating a draught in the room.
                  There is a minimum distance required so that enough O2 is in the room even if the fire burns vigorously (more than the vent can supply).
                  Most modern fires have O2 depletion sensors and switch themselves off, but coal doesn't.

That is about as far as my knowledge goes on this so don't ask me any more.

Google is your friend.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Is this a cavity wall requirement, this hole, or are they saying that everyone with a fire should have one regardless?

Comment

Working...
                    X