• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for a trip to the States I think

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a trip to the States I think

Pound close to $2 exchange level.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6291343.stm

It's great except if you are earning in USD and spending in GBP like me.

If any one cares DailyFX have a chart to play with. There are many others.

I can't give an opinion as I am on the borderline of being a market professional and I could get myself into trouble.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Been there. Used to write for a US magazine but gave it up in 2003 for that reason.

It would be a good time to invest in US equities if they weren't at an all time high. Quandaries quandaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
        It's great except if you are earning in USD and spending in GBP like me.
        Its a real bummer. I invoice in USD but also any other currency in which I've incurred expenses (i.e GBP, CHF, Euro, etc) to an American firm who then convert it and then pay me in USD to my Euro bank account here in Germany. I've just started charging them bank charges as each transfer costs me at least €20.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yes but look at how much the flights have gone up in the last two years - almost £200!
          www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

I used to work for an online gambling company. It's probably not safe for me to travel there at the moment...
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
              Its a real bummer. I invoice in USD but also any other currency in which I've incurred expenses (i.e GBP, CHF, Euro, etc) to an American firm who then convert it and then pay me in USD to my Euro bank account here in Germany. I've just started charging them bank charges as each transfer costs me at least €20.
              Do what I did. I have an offshore business bank account which is realy 3 accounts. Sterling, Euro and USD. I give the appropriate numbers for the invoice to my client. Transfers between the accounts are free. As this company is also my onshore bank transfers to my private account (wages) are also free.

Maybe you should see if any are available to you.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                I used to work for an online gambling company. It's probably not safe for me to travel there at the moment...
                Doesn't make any difference. If the Americans want you arrested for possibly breaking American laws that didn't exist at the time, the UK Government will do it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  Doesn't make any difference. If the Americans want you arrested for possibly breaking American laws that didn't exist at the time, the UK Government will do it for them.
                  And they won't even let the small issues e.g. lack of evidence get in the way
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    Oh, so thats where Gordo gets his tax law ideas from!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X