• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland

Anyone ever worked through Swisslinx? An opportunity has presented itself and I would be interested to hear war stories, good and bad...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Resurrection

Hi, I've resurrected the thread for two reasons;

1) Prove I did a search first
    2) To ask the same question!

This thread was interesting but if anyone can advise on choosing between working through a company like Swisslinx and setting up your own Swiss company I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all,

TP

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Pot View Post
      Hi, I've resurrected the thread for two reasons;

1) Prove I did a search first
      2) To ask the same question!

This thread was interesting but if anyone can advise on choosing between working through a company like Swisslinx and setting up your own Swiss company I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all,

TP

Setting up a swiss company is not as easy as in the UK and you either speak very fluent german (or french or italian depending where) or you'll be in trouble with the bureacracy. Considering that taxes are low anyway I wouldn't bother with the trouble. Besides, before you get the C permit you need to spend an amount in solicitors and taxes to open your own company which might counterbalance the gain anway.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

There really isn't much point, the tax rates in Switzerland are very low. Just become an employee.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks guys.

Any idea whether pressing the agent to pay for visas, the flight for the interview, and the first month's accomodation are still options these days?

Comment

Thanks guys.

Any idea whether pressing the agent to pay for visas, the flight for the interview, and the first month's accomodation are still options these days?
            Visa? Do you need one?
            Interview flight - most definitely
            First month's rent? Jeepers - if you can get it why not - not something I've ever considered - too cheeky.

Comment

I would expect them to pay for a flight and accommodation for the interview, although they would probably want to claw that back if you turned down a solid job offer. They should also pick up work/residence permit costs (extensions included). I doubt that you'd get the first month's accommodation, but you could ask for an advance to cover that - you won't get it if you don't ask for it.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Visas payment are very low, this is not like in US. For the rest is all up to your skills and how difficult is to find them. However, if you are a contractor I would expect that your rate will cover those expenses. Flights and accomodation should cover marketing expenses and your rate should include a premium for these expenses contractors normally have from contract to contract. Perks and relocation packages are for permies.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I hear you.

I'm working of this post from the thread I linked from 2006:

Originally posted by waboo
                  My tips in Swizterland are:

1. Even going perm or contract, make sure your agent secures you at least 1 months free accomodation(contract 1-2 months....perm 6 months min). Its very pricey there, a furnished 1 bed apt will cost you between 800-2500 a month!

2. If you have a home in the UK, do not let it out until at leat 3 months is past. that way you'll be sure whether its right for you or not. Things could be tight having two homes....but you get a months free rent at the start, so budget.

3. when looking for an apartment, make sure the agent(who got you there in the first place) take you round in his car....you'll get lost in the first month or so. do not get palmed off by him/her saying we can take you round......yeah right...get him/her to garuntee this before you fly.

4. Eating out, and drinking in are the cheap things to do....its eating in and drinking out that cost....so be aware

5. Make your agent pay for the visas....a family can cost around £100 or so, depending on children

6. Ask your agent about the most cost effective way of PAYE and LPP(this is your compulsary pension)....there are two ways..1st, pay less tax and more pension(which is refunded when you leave), or 2nd pay more tax and less pension.......good if you need money(refundable)

7. The expat community know best, every fiddle there is....like this gem....if you stay for more than 12 months, you can even claim back through swiss Inland Revenue, the interest on your UK mortgage, loans, credit cards etc. so basically network....and network to find out stuff like this.

8. when being paid, dont get palmed off by late payments...by law in Switzerland, after invoice, payment should be made within 48 hours...so take this into account when being promised payment.....BTW, legal cover is free in Switzerland as its included in your salary dedeuctions compulsary.

9. after 6 months you are free agent...swap agents if you like....you can get a better deal.....

10. My last tip....as its such a move, even the flying in for an interview....the agent should pay for the flights....no question........its a big move, whether you are on your own or not..............so no need to be out of pocket...after all a 6 month contract could net the agent 10% of your income....over 6 months, that will pay for the pimps M3's petrol, valet, service and food shopping.....so do not be taken for a ride.

Comment

I hear you.

I'm working of this post from the thread I linked from 2006:
                    Mostly good advice it seems to me. I'd only quarrel with one point from my time in Zurich: no 4. ISTM that there were no cheap things to do.

Don't get me wrong: money's good, tax is low as nowhere else in Europe, and I'd go back tomorrow. But cheap it ain't.

Comment

Working...
                    X