• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got The Sack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got The Sack

I got the terminated today, the story is that one of the teams was not delivering what they should, I was asked to send an email to the IT director specifying the exact requirements, this didn’t go down well, and the IT director felt insulted that a contractor sent him a requirement email, anyway he insisted I should be terminated, I know it’s a stupid mistake of mine, and I lost out on a lucrative contract, even though I wasn’t enjoying it. However, even though the termination is effective from this morning, they asked me to complete an additional work, I was told if I don’t do this they will not pay me for the last 2 days and they will enforce the gross misconduct clause from my contract (in fact they already have – they are saying as I upset the IT director they will not pay me my notice)

They specifically told the agency they were pleased with all my work, and had no issue with it, the only problem was upsetting the IT director. The project is relying on me to complete this extra work.

Should I complete this extra deliverable for the sake of having a good relationship and walking out professionally? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, on one hand they sack me but on the other they say we need you to do more work for us. Also I am very angry about being blackmailed either I complete additional work or I don’t get paid for the whole week.

Obviously I am inclined to give them the finger, but am trying to be calm and rationalise the situation. Any other rational advice (I know can be difficult to get on this forum) would be welcomed

I'd tell them to go and fuck themselves.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Give them the finger. They have to pay you if you are on a daily rate and not on a deliverables.

Tell the IT director to ******* suck it up.

Comment

sounds like an envoronment I'd just walk.

It sounds hippocritical that that are kicking you out of the door with imediate effect due to gross mis-conduct , but only when you've done a bit more work.

Feck 'em I say
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Was it a Govt project?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I agree with SP - fuck 'em.
            The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

no it wasn't a government, but it wasn't the kind of place I normally work in i.e. completely unstructured.

I think the best way is that I will go back to the agency and tell them as I already opted in they should pay me for the last 2 days. If the client would like me to do any extra work then am more than happy to do so, let them send me all the specs and requirements and I will send them an estimate of effort and costs !!

Comment

these situations are tough. from my experience the only way to deal with it is to stand by your own morals and ethics.

if they have removed you, ie terminated your notice pay then you are losing out anyway.

so cut your losses, and just put it down to a bad contract, tulip kickers and walk with your head held high.

if they start again with tulip, then just say that you will stay to do the work on the condition they remove the gross misconduct thing and pay you your notice.

Comment

They have terminated so walk. I do not see that you have any option.

Tell them that failure to pay will result in legal action. Take legal action.

You could delete all your work for the last two days.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What a horrible situation. Its all very well all of us saying feck 'em...but if it was me I think I'd probably want to leave on the best terms possible for references etc...although saying that if they've already said they're getting ridof you for gross misconduct etc then you'll not get a reference off them anyway will you?

Nah, definately feck 'em.

Have you spoken to your agent? This miht be one of those situations where an agent might actually be able to help - after all, they're loosing money too, and they are more viscious than us.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X