• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD Calculators Ltd vs Umberalla

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD Calculators Ltd vs Umberalla

I thought if I went PAYE through my ltd I would still take home more than a PAYE umberalla, plus with my ltd I could get benefit from the flat rate VAT scheme.

However Ive just taken figures from the SJD site, the first lot from the umberalla calc and the second lot from there Payslip calc. The payslip 1 shows the employers NI so I excluded that off the net pay.

Whats confused me though is their umberalla service makes someone grossing £8k amonth (not me) over £400 amonth better off than PAYE through ltd. Does the Director NI thing mean your worse off going PAYE through a ltd ? confused ...

Figures are based on £8k amonth gross (excluding VAT)

Umberalla calc http://www.contractorumbrella.com/calculator.html

Your Gross 8000
    Employers NI 849.12
    Employees NI 304.14
    Employee Tax 2,146.53
    Total All Tax 3,299.79
    Fees 62.50
    Total Net Income 4,637.71

Payslip ie via LTD PAYE

Your gross pay is 8000
    Your PAYE tax deduction is 2511
    Your NI deduction is 313
    Your employer's contribution is 970
    Your Net 4,206

Whats the difference ?
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 2 September 2021, 15:07.

Umbrella fees come out of gross, so reduce the taxable amount. However, with LtdCO you don't pay yourself £8k pcm gross, you pay somewhat less and take the balance as divis, so reducing the NI charges significantly.

You're not comparing like with like. Read Simon's sticky at the top of this thread.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      Umbrella fees come out of gross, so reduce the taxable amount. However, with LtdCO you don't pay yourself £8k pcm gross, you pay somewhat less and take the balance as divis, so reducing the NI charges significantly.

You're not comparing like with like. Read Simon's sticky at the top of this thread.
      Im talking about still using my own LTD, but not paying divs just PAYE all the way as Im inside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1
        ... as Im inside IR35.
        Bet you aren't...

Anyway, don't know in that case. Why not email Simon and ask him?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
          Having your own limited is only cost efficient is you are outside IR35 not inside - at least for most of your contracts. Otherwise, you are better off using a brolly simply because its' a lot less hassle not because you'll necessarily save any money. Best route is to find a brolly that will do you sole trader (without the EB knowing)

Whilst I agree an umbrella might be slightly less hassle, it is certainly not more cost efficient.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1
            Payslip ie via LTD PAYE

Your gross pay is 8000
            Your PAYE tax deduction is 2511
            Your NI deduction is 313
            Your employer's contribution is 970
            Your Net 4,206

Whats the difference ?
            The SJD one is working out as if you're a permie who earns £8000 as salary (i.e. £8000 after employers NI). When I put in £7030 per month (i.e. as if you were a contractor paying the employers NI), I get:

Your gross pay is 7030
            Your PAYE tax deduction is 2123
            Your NI deduction is 304
            Your employer's contribution is 846
            Your Net 4,603

Where the other £34 goes to I don't know.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 11 February 2022, 17:55.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X