• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear FORUM administrators,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear FORUM administrators,

I know I am only 27 posts/years old, but have you ever thought that the forum is only devided into 5 Main categories ? This seems like a waaay to little for highly visited forum ( the views are not created automatically right ? ) .

These sections can be further subdivided into categories - Say Accounting - Umbrella , Ltd , Ir35. , and Technical - MS , VB , SQL , ISA (and yeah Linux if someone is still doing that - just kiddin ) and so on.

Such a categorization shall decrease the redundancy of posts as it will be easier for ppl to find what they need. Currently a post is out of direct sight ( the first 1 -2 pages ) within a day.

Come on developers back me up , some one may hit a contract !
    Last edited by 2uk; 25 January 2007, 23:58.

That is why they invented the search button. With a huge amount of forums all that is going to happen is people are not going to visit them all but stay in one area.

I mean take a look at www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/ and tell me all of those subforums are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      That is why they invented the search button. With a huge amount of forums all that is going to happen is people are not going to visit them all but stay in one area.

I mean take a look at www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/ and tell me all of those subforums are needed.
      People dont always know what they need to search for you know. ,
      Last edited by 2uk; 26 January 2007, 00:03.

Comment

Which is why the panel on the right "CUK Navigation" tells you everything that you need to know

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          Which is why the panel on the right "CUK Navigation" tells you everything that you need to know
          I say we shall vote
          Last edited by 2uk; 26 January 2007, 00:08.

Comment

It's much easier to read through 4-5 categories than to read through 20. And useful topics will scroll out anyway eventually.

Keep the current categories IMO

Comment

There is a big hint in the categories you have not read too. They appear in bold so if you wish to chase everything you haven't read it is easy.

The serious threads stay around a lot longer too, though a couple of stickies may help. If the population could be trusted not to fill them with crap.

Simon tried to post a helpful thread for Ltd. v Brolly which was useful, but then it got full of garbage, either stupid questions or "vested interests" accusations.

I would add a couple of categories like "first timer advice" and FAQs as we do seem to get asked the same stuff over and over again.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                I know I am only 27 posts/years old, but have you ever thought that the forum is only devided into 5 Main categories ? This seems like a waaay to little for highly visited forum ( the views are not created automatically right ? ) .

These sections can be further subdivided into categories - Say Accounting - Umbrella , Ltd , Ir35. , and Technical - MS , VB , SQL , ISA (and yeah Linux if someone is still doing that - just kiddin ) and so on.

Such a categorization shall decrease the redundancy of posts as it will be easier for ppl to find what they need. Currently a post is out of direct sight ( the first 1 -2 pages ) within a day.

No way! Other sites that try and do this are a pain up the arse to use.

Look at the PCG site - yesterday I visited there to see if they were discussing Labour's latest tax raid on contractors, as flagged by Tony English here, and I searched half a dozen of their forums before giving up.

So no:

1. You never be sure where anything is, especially with subjects that could equally belong in two or three different forums

2. It's a pain for users having to swap about the forums so often

CUK has got it about right.

Comment

This site tends to get a small number of 'hardcore' posters, with an increased number of forums you are likely to find yourself rattling around in a forum on your own.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                    I know I am only 27 posts/years old, but have you ever thought that the forum is only devided into 5 Main categories ? This seems like a waaay to little for a highly visited forum ( the views are not created automatically right ? ) .

PDN, PSUATIB.

Comment

Working...
                    X