• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Companies

Hi,

I am fed up with my current Umbrella company which is mantor.co.uk based in Cheshire.

I am only sticking with them for now as they pay a basic wage & the rest as a dividend so making my net pay more, however there admin & general service is not good.

can anbody recommend another umbrella company that pays on the same basis but gives a good service as well.

Cheers

Dave

If they pay dividends, they are not an umbrella, or they are doing so illegally. Looking at the website they are an MSC, and are most likely in deep doo-doo after April 5th (actually, they aren't but you will be).

Either go to a proper umbrella, or get your own company.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

here endeth the lesson!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

They do pay dividends, but in order to do this they make me a director a
        a ltd company which is justa ltd company within there organisation (non profit making etc)

so thats how they get round that.

Any recommendations ?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP
          a ltd company which is justa ltd company within there organisation (non profit making etc)

Any recommendations ?

Dave
          Do a search on IR35 and pre-budget report. Get out of that co. now. See the sticky thread in accounting.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
            It seems like a MSP to me. The type of organisation Gordo is trying to shut down.
            Well not really. You can still use them, but you'll pay full PAYE and NICs, not be able to claim expenses and not be able to take dividends. Not really such a good idea any more (not that it ever was IMHO!)
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP

No, it's how they "do it". They are not getting around anything because currently there is nothing to "get around".

But when (in April) there is a rule to "get around", this will not do it.

If that makes sense.

tim

Comment

I am somewhat bemused with DaveP's post.

I am with Mantor.co.uk and I have never had a problem.

Until March 31st 2007 they ran Umbrella and Composite companies.

Then with the IR changes. Mantor.co.uk sent out an email with a choice as well as pro's and cons in terms of it's clients going Limited or Umbrella company.

When I was under the composite company "Mantor Consultants", I was paid in dividends.

Therefore I worked my hours, I claimed my expenses being Mileage or other travel costs to and from home, and I also claimed the allocated subsistence rate per day.

And when required I claimed back on the odd IT item, such as a USB memory Stick or DVD's. Therefore I got my weekly wage based on the above.

Now with the changes and the wonderful grey area of IR35, I moved under the Umbrella of Mantor Ltd.

I am still claiming my allocated expenses from Home to Work and I am still claiming the allocated daily subsistance. And that is it.

I pay PAYE and NI, along with my other deductions. And I am still happy with my take home pay. Ok I could go as my own limited company, but I only have short term contracts. I pay £20 a week for Mantor to process my timesheets and expenses, and all the other paperwork that is required.

And I get paid weekly. I have been with Mantor for over 4 years now, I have never had a late payment, never had a missing timesheet, and everytime I get a new contract. I simply email Mantor to say who I will be working for how much the hourly rate is, and then pass on the contact details of the agency I am with. Then I also pass on Mantor's details to the agency so copy of my contact is sent over.

And hey presto I start work and fax through my timesheet and expenses form every friday. I know that I can sleep at night and not have the taxman knocking on my door, as I know that Mantor and myself are working within the IR guidelines.

Regards
                Lee

Comment

Originally posted by LJames75 View Post
                  I am still claiming my allocated expenses from Home to Work and I am still claiming the allocated daily subsistance. And that is it.

I know that I can sleep at night and not have the taxman knocking on my door, as I know that Mantor and myself are working within the IR guidelines.

Regards
                  Lee
                  These two statements are of course mutually exclusive.

You should research the following:-

Of ****. Can't be bothered yet again.

Comment

I had an email from Orangegenie yesterday highlighting the two recent IR35 wins for HMRC, they were trying to scare me into using them again by suggesting my Ltd wasn’t safe any more!
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X