• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Storage of receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage of receipts

Basic question: what do most people do to store their receipts? Any good tips or ideas?

I am currently putting them on a weekly basis in a labelled envelope. Once I have written them in the books, then I am putting them in a box file. Is this over the top?

Storage of receipts

"I am currently putting them on a weekly basis in a labelled envelope. Once I have written them in the books, then I am putting them in a box file. Is this over the top?"

Nothing wrong with what you are doing, just remember to keep this stuff for six years.

Comment

Mine were all burnt in a fire. Shame.

Comment

Why Bother ?

Why not go Flat rate and forget the receipts ?

Comment

Re: Why Bother ?

There is a flat rate for VAT but is there one as far as HMCE is concerned?

bolox I meant as far as IR concerned.

Comment

"Why not go Flat rate and forget the receipts ? "

You will still require them if the Inland Revenue investigate the company.:\

Comment

receipts are kept not only for VAT purposes, but also for reimbursable expenses purposes, i.e. if you stay overnight in a hotel, you can deduct the expense from your income that is taxable, but you need to keep the receipt for this, as the IR can investigate later
              So this has nothing to do with VAT, just expenses.

Comment

Working...
              X