• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent - speechless!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent - speechless!!!

OK, so I've got this new job which I'm starting on Wednesday. I've came home from the boozer, and I had about 8 emails of the agent.....1 of which was an email sent to my new boss (with me copied in) stating how much I was on. He wanted to get the client to confirm the details for the contract.

Problem is, he put "£600" a day.

Next email was to me saying confirm the details, and he put "£470" a day.

Now, he's either a very honest agent, who doesn't mind me knowing their mark-up, or he's made a monumental mistake!

Next email was an "out of office" reply from the agent, saying he's not back in the office for 2 weeks. My paranoid side is sayign he's sent this out intentionaly after realising his mistake and doesnt want me to think I can contact him and try and negotiate a better rate.

What would yous do? Should I just take my £470 a day and be happy? Should I try and get more and risk loosing the job? Should I stop being so paranoid and accept I have an honest agent? Os should I worry about having a complete baffoon (no offence Baffoon) for an agent?

I'm at a loss!
    The pope is a tard.

We all know agents take a cut, sometimes it's better not to know how much. We're you happy with your £470 before you got the email ?

If the job is ok, it will give you some leverage if you want to negitiate a rise if you get an extension.

I'd even consider a job in London for £470 a day - more than double I am on currently.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
      OK, so I've got this new job which I'm starting on Wednesday. I've came home from the boozer, and I had about 8 emails of the agent.....1 of which was an email sent to my new boss (with me copied in) stating how much I was on. He wanted to get the client to confirm the details for the contract.

Problem is, he put "£600" a day.

Next email was to me saying confirm the details, and he put "£470" a day.

Now, he's either a very honest agent, who doesn't mind me knowing their mark-up, or he's made a monumental mistake!

Next email was an "out of office" reply from the agent, saying he's not back in the office for 2 weeks. My paranoid side is sayign he's sent this out intentionaly after realising his mistake and doesnt want me to think I can contact him and try and negotiate a better rate.

What would yous do? Should I just take my £470 a day and be happy? Should I try and get more and risk loosing the job? Should I stop being so paranoid and accept I have an honest agent? Os should I worry about having a complete baffoon (no offence Baffoon) for an agent?

I'm at a loss!
      Got for £500/day he still gets and 18% cut (roughly) and has £100 a day for feck all

Comment

SallyAnne, agents don't do things out of the kindness of their hearts. You accepted 470, so what's the problem? The agent got you the job didn't he?

The agent and client arrangement is their business. I accidentally got hold of documentation revealing my current agent's percentage, which is not much less than your's, but I don't give it a thought.

470 a day for messing around with Oracle app dev is money for old rope anyway!

Comment

Yeah Wendigo, you're right. I'm happy enough with £470. I just wish he hadn't sent it to me.

I just had to get it off my chest.

Off to bed now, cheers for the reply though.
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Itll be useful for renewal time. If you last that long.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It all depends whether the client thinks you ae getting 600.

The agent might be charging 800 and telling the client you are getting 600.

Does that get your paranoia going?

Mail the client and confirm what the agent has said, that they are charging 600 and paying you 470.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                You accepted 470, so what's the problem?
                She's greedy, that could go some way to explaining her obesity.

Comment

Hang on a minute....the agent gets £130 a day for the rest of the contract for doing what exactly ?

How long is the contract ? 6 months ? At an average of 22 working days a month, thats £17,160 additional cost to the client.

Assuming they have say 6 contractors on the same rate there, that's £102,960 in agency fees every 6 months ?

Er....why don't the client hire a %"£$% HR manager and save a bundle ?

Doh!
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

This board is full of 'good' advice today isnt it.

If you're happy with the gig do it, then renogiate on a contract extension (and add all the eat Ginsters then!!)
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X