• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed! £1K a month for nothing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed! £1K a month for nothing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6307239.stm

Britain's housing boom will continue in 2007, with average prices rising by £1,000 a month, a report by a leading think-tank suggests.
    The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) said it saw no evidence that increased interest rates would hit the cost of homes.

House prices will increase by 7.6%, the CEBR told The Observer newspaper.

However, slower growth is predicted in 2008 and 2009 before acceleration again in 2010.

Who needs a plan B?

Just buy more BTL properties and become rich! Rich I'm telling you!

Is the Centre for Economics and Business Research a codename for Gordo's mates? This kind of stuff is really tiresome. Anyone with a modicum of common sense can say house prices are looking toppy by any measurement you care to name:

1) Prices well above long term trends
    2) Rental yields in London are sub 4%. Cost of money is ~6%
    3) You need a lot more than an average (median) salary to buy the average home.

All indicators point to overvaluation.

That's not to say prices won't rise in 2007, but to go on record saying that they "should" is ludicrous. Certainly to say they'll accelerate in 2010, which is when the major demographic forces start to kick in (baby boomers sell up and begin dying off or vice versa) is foolish.

Comment

It is almost accepted that in 2015, houses will double in price EVERY day.

You heard it here first.

Comment

Every year we say that house prices have topped, and the next year they shoot up to new levels.

One reason is that demand is going up because of immigration and more people living alone.

But a big reason is that, every year, borrowing money is becoming easier. This has resulted in an unprecedented debt bubble. There will be fun when that bursts!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          But a big reason is that, every year, borrowing money is becoming easier. This has resulted in an unprecedented debt bubble. There will be fun when that bursts!
          I would agree with that. As long as there is high demand prices will rise. The only way it will stop is when people can not afford to buy, which will happen when banks and building societys get cold feet on the lending front. It is not in their interests (pun intended) to stop lending. <hovis music> When I were a lad....</hovis music> you could only borrow 1.5 times salary. Now people are borrowing 5 or 6 times salary and with self cert mortgages they can declare salary to be any amount they think they can sustain payments on.

Now thats gonna hurt in the morning.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

When the last bear has turned to a bull, thats when it will crash.

Comment

Mooooooo
              Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Ok, I am convinced - I am going to get self-cert morgage in between buying print paper and milk from other shops on high street.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                  Is the Centre for Economics and Business Research a codename for Gordo's mates? This kind of stuff is really tiresome. Anyone with a modicum of common sense can say house prices are looking toppy by any measurement you care to name:

1) Prices well above long term trends
                  2) Rental yields in London are sub 4%. Cost of money is ~6%
                  3) You need a lot more than an average (median) salary to buy the average home.

All indicators point to overvaluation.

That's not to say prices won't rise in 2007, but to go on record saying that they "should" is ludicrous. Certainly to say they'll accelerate in 2010, which is when the major demographic forces start to kick in (baby boomers sell up and begin dying off or vice versa) is foolish.
                  Bob, everybody knows that house prices will rise forever. Fill yer boots.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
                    When the last bear has turned to a bull, thats when it will crash.
                    I've been a hardened bear for years but just bought a big house so now a bull !

Comment

Working...
                    X