• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

allowable expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

allowable expenses

Hi, Sorry to sound dim, but the whole tax thing confuses me sometimes.

I am working through a well known umbrella company on a 6 month contract at the moment. They have dispensation for various little bits and pieces, but ideally I would like to claim for a PC for the home office so that I can do a little work from home and the various admin bits and pieces that are required for the contract. Can I claim for a pc or laptop, and if so how much and how do I do this as the umbrella company just keeps telling me to look on the ir website and complete a self assesment at the end of the year. So ideally as an umbrella company contractor I would be interested in knowing what is claimable outside the umbrella company on the self assesment.

Ta

As a brolly *employee* the chances of you being allowed to claim for a laptop are about the same Yeovil winning the FA cup.

For an expense to be claimable against tax, it must be necessary for your employment. If you have an employer, which you do, (it is the brolly, whether you think so or not) then the revenue's line is, if it's necessary, the employer will provide it and if they won't provide it, then it can't be necessary.

HTH

tim

Comment

Quite apart from the above, which is true btw, come april the whole expenses issue with umbrellas and MSC's goes away because you wont be able to claim any anyway.

Ditch the brolly and start your own ltd. You can then claim expenses legitimately, including the cost of the laptop, and won't have to worry about what happens in April when the rules change.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        Quite apart from the above, which is true btw, come april the whole expenses issue with umbrellas and MSC's goes away because you wont be able to claim any anyway.

Ditch the brolly and start your own ltd. You can then claim expenses legitimately, including the cost of the laptop, and won't have to worry about what happens in April when the rules change.
        what he said
        Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Don't think you are correct.

Both Parasol and P4 say that they will still be offering expenses next year, including subsistence, they are not MSC's.

Both say they will allow computer purchase as allowable expense.

I spoke to them both last week - I am leaving Giant Powerhouse for fear of a backdated tax bill, and can't take the hassle of my own company.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbarrel
            and can't take the hassle of my own company.
            Useless feckwit.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbarrel
              Both say they will allow computer purchase as allowable expense.
              In simple terms they can't really say that. Whether they are allowable to you against your tax is in the gift of the man from the IR not them.

Comment

I think a lot of the brolly companies are going to try and take business off each other by saying " come with us and you can do such & such "

Bottom line is that unless you want to be treated like an employee [ i.e. pay full whack tax & NI on your cash ] you have to go Ltd.

I must admit, I can't understand the "it's too much hassle" arguement - I actually find it much easier because you've got more control.
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I agree

My brief spell with a brolly was a nightmare. I ended up spending more time chasing them up than I now do managing my own Ltd.

Take back control...

Comment

Originally posted by darkuser80
                    Hi, Sorry to sound dim, but the whole tax thing confuses me sometimes.
                    Thanks,
                    Gordon Brown.
                    11 Downing St (although moving to no 10 soon).
                    London.
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X