• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie job offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie job offer

I have just been offered a job by a large IT company, supporting their product on Lotus Notes and Exchange.
    They have offered 45k + 8% bonus + training etc

I am a contractor currently on £35/per + £675 per week oncall (oncall is 1 in 3 weeks)

Do I take it? Am I going to be seriously out of pocket. I am in two minds so need some assistance in making the right decision.

Cheers

Well your roughly on £80k+ at the moment (assuming that you work all year).

Up to you. You'll have less hassle and more "security" etc but possibly more politics and other rubbish that goes with permies. You'll ovbiously get piad less.

Really you are the only one that can make the decision.

Comment

He's nowhere near 80k Sock. You always assume people work 52 weeks out of 52 on a 40 hour week dont you.

46 weeks of year max. 37.5 hours per week. Caught by IR35, closer to 65k more likes.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well if you have a 12 month contract then a 52 week year is possible....holidays are for weaklings.

Comment

"Well if you have a 12 month contract then a 52 week year is possible....holidays are for weaklings."

Exactly. Living is for losers.

Comment

I work 51 weeks a year

For the last 4 years i've been in the same contract and only taken 1 week a year holiday and no sick days - have also worked xmas day, boxing days etc.

I am a Notes/admin contractor - I guess my real concern is that things are drying up for me, the permie role is a means of getting into MS Exchange etc.

Comment

I Like Leap Years best. Means I can bill for 366 days instead of the paltry 365 I usually am limited to.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

"For the last 4 years i've been in the same contract and only taken 1 week a year holiday and no sick days - have also worked xmas day, boxing days etc. "

"I guess my real concern is that things are drying up for me, the permie role is a means of getting into MS Exchange etc."

I would be concerned that you have no life.

Comment

Negotiate upwards to make sure you are happy with the wage packet. If you don't start on a good salary that you're happy with, it will be much harder to re-negotiate afterwards once you haev accepted the offer.

You've been there 4 years so indubitably you are the best man for the job.

By the sounds of it you're on about 80k so 55k isn't bad really, but if you're financially motivated then it's still 25k less.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                    "For the last 4 years i've been in the same contract and only taken 1 week a year holiday and no sick days - have also worked xmas day, boxing days etc. "

"I guess my real concern is that things are drying up for me, the permie role is a means of getting into MS Exchange etc."

I would be concerned that you have no life.

I guess you are right - although if I take this role i'll have no life and no money.

Do i take it, or do i not? can one live off 45k + 8%? Has anyone else been in the same boat?

Comment

Working...
                    X